Thread: Power upgrade?

RC poster

Power upgrade?

Newbie here wanting esc/motor combo to upgrade 4x4 pede. Currently just stock brushed 2s

RC Champion
    Check the options from Castle. The Mamba X ESC is fantastic (I've got several, in vehicles ranging from crawlers, to a Rustler 4x4 (plus, I have another Rustler 4d4 with a Mamba Monster X.

As for a motor, if you're looking to gain a little speed, you have two options. You can either go with a motor with slightly higher kV...say, 3800kV (assuming your stock motor is 3500)...if you plan on sticking with 2S. Or, if you wanted to move to 3S (which will give you more torque), you could drop down to 2400. If you're more interested in torque, and don't mind losing a little speed, you could drop to 3000-3200 (for 2S), or down to 2000-2200 to(for 3S).

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I run a Hobbywing SC8WP with a GoolRC 2600kv 3660 can. 2S is pretty tame, 3S is great, and 4S is insane. Gonna need other goodies to move from brushed to brushless. 17mm wheels, axles etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Just going to a brushless motor will be a rush.

Donít waste your time with 2S if speed is your game. I tried. By the time you get to a useful speed you will battle heat problems.

Keep the XL 5 diffs. They are geared Lower than the VXL and you can always get plenty of speed through spur and pinions.

I run the castle 1415 2400 5mm shaft with a seemingly indestructible cheap 120 amp esc.

Save yourself the hassle and just get the metal drive shafts. Money well spent.

Have fun.

Let us know how it turns out.

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies. I now have a starting point. I will keep you updated what I do.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the VXL-3S. My Pede is geared 13/54 and hits 50mph on 3S, no problems with temps with a $13 heatsink and fan.

My Rustler 4x4 has an MMX 2650kv, geared 23/54 and hits 55 mph on 3S. Haven't gotten around to trying 4S yet for funsies since 55mph is more than enough for 1/10th bashing for me.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the VXL-3S. My Pede is geared 13/54 and hits 50mph on 3S, no problems with temps with a $13 heatsink and fan.

My Rustler 4x4 has an MMX 2650kv, geared 23/54 and hits 55 mph on 3S. Haven't gotten around to trying 4S yet for funsies since 55mph is more than enough for 1/10th bashing for me.
    Itís not a cost effective ďupgradeĒ. They donít put up well with 3S and big tires. Itís an option, just not one of the better options.