RC Qualifier

Cheaper options for 3s axles?

My cousin got a brushed Rustler a while ago, and now has a MAX10 SCT with the 4000kv (I think) in it. He's currently running on NiMHs, but is saving up for a 2s and a heavy 3s LiPo in a few months.

He's quite young, so he probably doesn't have too much money to spend. He probably won't be able to afford 2 pairs of MIP axles (€170, $200).

He drives quite agressively, so I don't know if there's a cheaper, reliable alternative. But if there is, pleas tell me. I think he'd be happy to know. Maybe he could get the MIPs for the rear, and something cheaper for the front?

RC Competitor
    Stock axles really aren’t as bad as many people comment about. Most are breaking their axles and components with the style of driving they do. I use these axles on my no-prep slash and they can take the power. Bashing of course can be hard on the entire drive line. Most of not all axle damage comes from the landing after a jump or a violent crash. Letting off the throttle and not on the brakes on the land will take the stress off the axles....also a well adjusted slipper helps.
    You really shouldn’t mix axles types front and rear due to the weight difference...but will work.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I broke all of my plastic axles, and 2 cheap metal ones the week I got my 3s. I wasn't jumping/crashing hard, but I was doing it wrong with the throttle stuff.

He doesn't have the slipper clutch, as his Rustler was originally a brushed version

RC Enthusiast
    Edit, thinking 2wd, nm
    Last edited by jpelt78; 04-12-2021 at 08:50 AM.

RC Competitor
    Does it have the gray axles or the black ones? I believe the gray ones will hold up better. Could just get a few packs of output shafts (6828A) as those seemed to be the part I would break the most. Couple that with the 6853A(rear) and 6854A(front) and you’ve got parts to replace whichever axle breaks first. Rinse and repeat.

The biggest issue I have with the stock axles is the u-joint holes get stretched out, and I would tend to replace them before they actually broke. I probably could have got more mileage out of them if I used the “go til they blow” philosophy. I do see the Tekno M6 axles online for under $50 a pair right now...

RC Qualifier
    Good to know. Thanks!

Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada-The Wet Coast!
    Yeah, I've heard good things about the Teknos. They also seem to be lighter than the MIPs, so, bonus!
    Slash 2WD Vision Edition
    200+ posts, here I come!

RC Qualifier
    Are CVDs strong enough, or do they bend?

RC Competitor
    The Tekno M6 cvd is what I have on mine. Not super expensive but hold up really well
    Rustler 4x4: MambaX, HobbyWing 3660

Quote Originally Posted by Jrz13 View Post
    The Tekno M6 cvd is what I have on mine. Not super expensive but hold up really well
    Me too, I have broken a couple of the barrel pins on the front axles though. Easy and cheap to fix.

Rustler 4x4 VXL, 540XL
    Rustler 4x4
    If it ain't broke, you're not trying!

RC Qualifier
    Tekno M6 vs Traxxas CVD's? €100 vs €115. Which one is better? Or is there no noticable difference?
    Also, is it correct that you need different axle carriers for the M6's (that are included in the kit)?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    Tekno M6 vs Traxxas CVD's? 100 vs 115. Which one is better? Or is there no noticable difference?
    Also, is it correct that you need different axle carriers for the M6's (that are included in the kit)?
    I have not used the Traxxas CVD, so I have no comment on it. The M6 axles are great! Yes they come with new carriers, as they use bigger bearings. The bearings are also included. I'm pretty hard on my car, and I've put a bigger motor and bigger tires on it, and haven't had any major issues. I broke two barrel pins in the wheel end of the axle, but from what I've read it's a common thing. Cheap to fix also.

Rustler 4x4 VXL, 540XL
    Rustler 4x4

Don't the tekno's require you to use their axle carriers which tend to be a bit fragile? A kid I met recently has the tekno's and doesn't care for the carriers as he tends to break them. Actually, he broke one of the cvd's while we were out last. He was running 3S on bald bald tires on his rustler 4x4 in grass. Not sure how/why the cvd broke as he didn't get nearly enough traction to get up enough speed to hurt much...

I'd go with traxxas's newer splined cvd's or MIP's X-Duty's. Buy once, cry once.
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/9051X
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/9052X

https://www.miponline.com/MIP-X-Duty...-Rustler-18140
    https://www.miponline.com/MIP-X-Duty...ally-4x4-18150

I've been running MIP X-Duty's on my stampede for 3 years or so. I've broken two or 3 front female bell end pieces in that time. All of which were during nasty nasty landings that bent the RPM arms beyond a reasonable amount which caused the drive shaft to bend further than it wanted to bend.

I've put a slash chassis on my stampede, went from 2.8" trenchers to 3.8" LP MT tires/wheels and I run a 150A/4074 2200kv 1/8th brushless system in it on 4S. So, pretty safe to say that I push things to their limits on this poor truck.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 04-21-2021 at 12:15 PM.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Don't the tekno's require you to use their axle carriers which tend to be a bit fragile? A kid I met recently has the tekno's and doesn't care for the carriers as he tends to break them. Actually, he broke one of the cvd's while we were out last. He was running 3S on bald bald tires on his rustler 4x4 in grass. Not sure how/why the cvd broke as he didn't get nearly enough traction to get up enough speed to hurt much...

I'd go with traxxas's newer splined cvd's or MIP's X-Duty's. Buy once, cry once.
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/9051X
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/9052X

https://www.miponline.com/MIP-X-Duty...-Rustler-18140
    https://www.miponline.com/MIP-X-Duty...ally-4x4-18150

I've been running MIP X-Duty's on my stampede for 3 years or so. I've broken two or 3 front female bell end pieces in that time. All of which were during nasty nasty landings that bent the RPM arms beyond a reasonable amount which caused the drive shaft to bend further than it wanted to bend.

I've put a slash chassis on my stampede, went from 2.8" trenchers to 3.8" LP MT tires/wheels and I run a 150A/4074 2200kv 1/8th brushless system in it on 4S. So, pretty safe to say that I push things to their limits on this poor truck.
    The carriers do have a little less plastic than the factory ones due to the bigger bearing. I have broken one but it was because a tree jumped in front of me. I don't think the stock carrier would have fared any better. They don't seem overly brittle.

Rustler 4x4 VXL, 540XL
    Rustler 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    The carriers do have a little less plastic than the factory ones due to the bigger bearing. I have broken one but it was because a tree jumped in front of me. I don't think the stock carrier would have fared any better. They don't seem overly brittle.

Rustler 4x4 VXL, 540XL
    Got it. I haven't had them, so didn't know. I had stock ones on my stampede for a while, but I broke those. Replaced with RPM, broke those. Replaced with atomik... bent those...

I now have hot racing carriers on the rear and GPM c-hubs with bearings/traxxas alloy carriers on the front. Seem to be holding up now.

RC Competitor
    I broke several sets of the Tekno M6 steering blocks in front from hard landings. Not right away, but there was definitely fatigue involved. I would change one, and the other would break next. Then the first side again, etc. They would always break along with the C hub. Never one or the other, but both at the same time. I still have some spares hanging on the pegboard, but have since upgraded to aluminum.

FWIW, the XO-1 aluminum steering blocks are a drop-in replacement for the Tekno ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky.blobby View Post
    FWIW, the XO-1 aluminum steering blocks are a drop-in replacement for the Tekno ones.
    Good to know. I'll relay that to him. Does the XO-1 have special ones on the rear or are those the same as the stampede/slash stock ones?

RC Qualifier
    Thanx, GTSDart340! That was exactly what I needed to know.

olds97_lss, while I agree that the MIPs are great, the difference between the MIPs and the M6es is $110. I think that in this case the cost compensates for the downsides the M6es may have by far. Remember that this is my cousin, who isn't old enough for a side job yet, who is buying it.

RC Enthusiast
    Last edited by mongoose1324; 04-22-2021 at 09:45 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I am saving up for those for my slash so when i go brushless i have good axles

Thanx, GTSDart340! That was exactly what I needed to know.

olds97_lss, while I agree that the MIPs are great, the difference between the MIPs and the M6es is $110. I think that in this case the cost compensates for the downsides the M6es may have by far. Remember that this is my cousin, who isn't old enough for a side job yet, who is buying it.
    For me, the difference is $40.
    MIP front+rear: $72 + $72 = $144
    Tekno front+rear: $49.99 + $54.99 = $104.98

So, $40 more for higher durability and can use any aftermarket front/rear axle carriers.

RC Competitor
    Good to know. I'll relay that to him. Does the XO-1 have special ones on the rear or are those the same as the stampede/slash stock ones?
    They’re different from the slash since the axles are 6mm, but they don’t fit the Tekno M6 stuff either due to the bearing sizes used. You might be able to find a bearing that would make it work, but I never tried. Never broke the Tekno rear bearing carriers, and now I’m on MIP X-duty with RPM carriers... someone else may have more info on that.

RC Enthusiast
    the axles that i recommended make sure to put in you country like i live in usa i change it from canada to usa

RC Qualifier

So, $40 more for higher durability and can use any aftermarket front/rear axle carriers.
    Ah, yes. In your case it makes sense. You also get metal hexes. But here in Europe MIPs cost €190 total, and the M6's €100, which gives a price difference of €90 ($110)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose1324 View Post
    the axles that i recommended make sure to put in you country like i live in usa i change it from canada to usa
    Are you french or something? What happened to your English?

RC Champion

Ah, yes. In your case it makes sense. You also get metal hexes. But here in Europe MIPs cost 190 total, and the M6's 100, which gives a price difference of 90 ($110)
    The bean is right, when talking about tekno m6 you do need to take into account the hexes. The stock plastic ones are...okay. But just okay.

RC Qualifier
    Would the upgraded traxxas ones fit on the M6's?

Would the upgraded traxxas ones fit on the M6's?
    Probably not, but Tekno sells a set of metal hexes. I used the stock plastic ones for quite a while, I only changed them when I went to the bigger tires. Never had any issues, but I've heard of people who have them strip out.

Rustler 4x4 VXL, 540XL
    Rustler 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Tnx for the answers

RC Enthusiast
    so are mine possibly OK
    Last edited by mongoose1324; 04-23-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose1324 View Post
    so are mine possibly OK
    The ones you mentioned were also posted earlier. Just with a cheaper price, which is odd since they are traxxas parts.

Have you every bought anything from there? Seems strange that they are listed at a little over half the cost they should be.