RC Enthusiast

Question Full throttle, slow moving

My car runs fine for awhile, then when I am giving full throttle, I hear a loud whining noise, but it moves slowly. I looked at the gears while this is happening and they are moving, but the wheels are barely spinning. If I let it rest awhile, then run again it's fine until it starts doing this again. Attached video... Any ideas?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mWbuVc1tZLgbnREf6

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by trainrec View Post
    My car runs fine for awhile, then when I am giving full throttle, I hear a loud whining noise, but it moves slowly. I looked at the gears while this is happening and they are moving, but the wheels are barely spinning. If I let it rest awhile, then run again it's fine until it starts doing this again. Attached video... Any ideas?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mWbuVc1tZLgbnREf6
    My guess is the slipper clutch needs adjustment. It could be getting hot and not grabbing as well.

Rustler 4x4 VXL, 540XL
    Rustler 4x4
    If it ain't broke, you're not trying!

RC Competitor
    I'd be looking at the spur gear and pinion gear. Make sure the motor mount is tight. Make sure the pinion gear set screw is tight. Check the mesh of the of the 2 gears. Do you run it at high speeds a lot.?? If the ESC is getting hot it should shut down. Before it does the the rustler could run slow. How long do you run it before it slows down.??

RC Competitor
    It definitely sounds to me like the slipper clutch is slipping. Thanks for posting a video, thatís really helpful. Try and tighten the adjusting nut and see if you get your speed back. The adjusting nut has a tendency to come loose over time. When I upgraded my motor I had to lock it all the way down or it would just slip constantly. Sometimes if itís been too loose for too long the spur gear can actually melt and loosen up the slipper even more!

Same here. Sounds like something in the slipper clutch assembly. If it were an issue with your pinion or spur gear, it most likely wouldn't move at all. I just had to replace the adjusting nut on my slipper clutch assembly because it was getting looser the more I ran it.
    Maxx, Rustler 4x4 VXL, 1/16 E-Revo VXL, Slash 2wd

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreary View Post
    Same here. Sounds like something in the slipper clutch assembly. If it were an issue with your pinion or spur gear, it most likely wouldn't move at all. I just had to replace the adjusting nut on my slipper clutch assembly because it was getting looser the more I ran it.
    @McCreary @ricky.blobby i second/third that motion! Didnt even watch the vid nor listen BUT i could tell by the description the OP gave. And yes, i ended up one-drop-loc-tite-ing the slipper shaft threads at the start, then carefully tighten the adjusting nut, and it WILL pull that one drop ALLL through the threads!

"The nut comes loose, Miss, what can i say?!" At the LHS might score you a new ...well, nvm. I digress.

I have since-making the switch to 1/8th scale power, just bought a cheap slipper eliminator off Fleabay and am risking the "existential drivetrain damage!" By not using a slipper clutch. Albeit, my drivetrain is FULLY upgraded -sans-center driveshaft.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk