RC poster

best protection cover (shroud)

What is the best protection shroud for the slash? I have a 4x4 and 2wd? I am running on the beach and the sand is getting everywhere. Should I be concerned about heat build up when using a shroud?

RC Qualifier
    I have the JConcepts chassis overtray. It keeps out large debris, but dust and sand still makes the back tirty as that part is open.
    It also traps A LOT of heat, and it doesn't fit anymore because I upgraded my ESC

Check out Outerwear shrouds, just about the best you can get.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    I have dusty motor covers. I have the j concepts hard one for the LCG itís breaking not even a year old. Still works okay. I like the dusty motor ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I actually have the slash Ultimate. I have read a bunch of posts about the heat build up with the out of box setup. Issue or not and issue? I am running 2s Lipo. What is Traxxas position on the use of shrouds?
    Last edited by chrisunderwood; 04-15-2021 at 04:46 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I have the J Concepts over tray. Works great in the winter. It definitely traps heat all other times of year.
    I have opened up the front to let in air under the hood, so far no crud gets in there. I’ll screen it if needed.
    Hopefully you can see the Lexan manifold thingy that I rigged up to dump fresh air directly onto the motor heat sink.
    I also opened up the back to let air out, with an exhaust fan at the opening near the motor.
    Lastly I masking-tape the edges of the tray to the chassis.
    I found without the tape, stuff was still getting in there.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ad&oe=609F2BF9

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...dd&oe=609C886F
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 04-15-2021 at 05:56 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisunderwood View Post
    I actually have the slash Ultimate. I have read a bunch of posts about the heat build up with the out of box setup. Issue or not and issue? I am running 2s Lipo. What is Traxxas position on the use of shrouds?
    With 2s you should be okay depending on battery and how many you run back to back. Do you have a heatsink with fan on motor? You can get a cheep heat gun or go for the telemetry sensors youíll also need the Bluetooth for your remote. This way you can check temps yourself. If you donít have a heatsink get one with the dust cover if you decide to get one. All work to a point not gonna keep 100% out and none will last forever take care of it like anything and you will get your worth out of it. Iím not sure what traxxas says but if it make my clean up faster Iím all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Outerwears is best IMO. I have it and it is a better material than the dusty motors shroud and doesn't look like a cloth draped over the top either. Fits nice and snug and even has room in the front for a chassis brace. Before my chassis brace, I closed the front bit with a safety pin.

Any shroud is going to increase temps slightly, but I haven't seen a significant increase - but at the same time I have a big fan setup - so I don't worry about temps anyways.

RC poster
    So it looks like I should get a heat sink/fan for the motor if I am going to use a shroud. Another thread.