RC poster

Shocks and driveshafts

Well I've had my slash for about a year now, and its time to refill the shocks. My issue is that I don't know what weight is in my shocks now. I have a slash 4x4 vxl with the lcg chassis, Anybody know what weight oil I should use? I also have some 50wt oil that I got along with it when I bought it secondhand, but I'm concerned that it's too heavy.

Also I have had the common problem with stock driveshafts being weak, any good ones out there for a decent price?

The truck comes with 30W from the factory. With the stock setup, it's pretty plush, so some people choose to get heavier oil for more dampening. If you think your current setup is good, then try either 50W or 30W and see which one you like better. If you don't like your current setup very much, you should try oil of a different viscosity (if you think the car bottoms out too much, add thicker oil, if you think the suspension is too stiff or over dampened, try lighter oil; start with a difference of 5W).

As for the driveshafts, the cheaper ones from Amazon do not have rebuild kits replacement parts, so I would avoid them if I can. Other options include dogbones from Tekno (very light, durable, but uses different rear hub carriers and steering blocks), Superduty shafts from MIP (nearly indestructible, but are pretty heavy), Traxxas CVDs for the 4x4 line (has rubber boots in the joints, fairly durable from what I've heard, but people have sheared off the stub axle at the hex-pin hole from bad landings), and the XO-1 CVDs (same as the 4x4 version, but has a thicker stub axle shaft, you will need steering blocks and rear hub carriers for the XO-1 for this to fit).

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by RCWilly; 04-15-2021 at 10:38 AM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    do you know of like light but extremly durable drive shafts

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose1324 View Post
    do you know of like light but extremly durable drive shafts
    The Tekno M6 driveshafts are lightweight and fairly durable (but not "indestructible").

RC Competitor
    I replaced the stock 30wt oil as soon as could. I generally bash in the yard, gravel pits nearby and dirt parking lots. I felt the stock fluid was too soft and resulted in lots of body roll. I moved up to 60wt front & back. The body doesn’t pitch and roll as much and it makes the car a bit more stable on ~6-7’ jump landings. The “best school oil” debate is highly subjective and personal.

As for driveshafts I’m using the “New Extreme Heavy-duty Steel Splined” driveshafts. I think they came out last year. I’m using 3s lipo primarily and they’ve performed so well. Traxxas also started selling the individual parts recently which makes maintenance and upkeep easier. I’m a fan.

https://m.traxxas.com/news/hoss-extr...ty-driveshafts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jindap View Post
    I replaced the stock 30wt oil as soon as could. I generally bash in the yard, gravel pits nearby and dirt parking lots. I felt the stock fluid was too soft and resulted in lots of body roll. I moved up to 60wt front & back. The body doesn’t pitch and roll as much and it makes the car a bit more stable on ~6-7’ jump landings. The “best school oil” debate is highly subjective and personal.
    If taking big jumps, you might want to look at stiffer springs as well.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    If taking big jumps, you might want to look at stiffer springs as well.

Have fun!
    funny you mention that because I did eventually add stiffer springs about a month after going from 30wt>60wt.

went from stock progressive springs to the +10 rate pink progressive springs (#6867 & #6863). apologies I didn't mention that before.

RC Competitor
    I have x-01 drive shafts on both my rigs waiting for the hoss ones I think it’s 9051X and 9052x on backorder. I never have an issue with the x-01 and can be rebuilt all parts are sold individually as well. Was my first upgrade on my slash once I went brushless best $100 I spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a set of MIP X-Duty axles in 2011. I recently broke a part which may have been one of the first! Ten years is a good amount of time and they are still working now
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Can yall help me find some cheaper 9051X and 9052X by traxxas if yall can please

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose1324 View Post
    Can yall help me find some cheaper 9051X and 9052X by traxxas if yall can please
    Cheaper, but not by much:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...9051x/p1267210

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...9052x/p1267211

Can't really find anything cheaper... unless you go with the non-branded ones on Amazon/eBay.

RC poster
    So what would happen if I were to just use the 50wt i have on hand? with the stock shocks, pistons, springs, etc. really the only stuff added to this truck was aluminum front arms don't have any others for now ill just have to stay away from rocks.
    Last edited by Short Course RC; 04-16-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Short Course RC View Post
    So what would happen if I were to just use the 50wt i have on hand? with the stock shocks, pistons, springs, etc. really the only stuff added to this truck was aluminum front arms don't have any others for now ill just have to stay away from rocks.
    The shocks would probably not be very responsive unless you used stiffer springs. I would recommend just spending the money on 30 wt. This will probably work well for general driving around. If you are doing big jumps though, I would recommend the higher weight oils and stiffer springs. For small jumps, 30 wt is probably going to be fine.
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?