RC poster

Grinding noise, need diff oil? stripped gear?

Recently I put my components in an ultimate roller and am experiencing a grinding noise when driving at low speeds. The sound happens when driving and without the motor and pinion installed. Any help is much appreciated!

(The motor is out because I am switching my pinion gear)

It's most likely the rear diff (pinion and ring gear). Remove separate the front and rear and turn them separately to see which one is causing the grinding noise.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    It's most likely the rear diff (pinion and ring gear). Remove separate the front and rear and turn them separately to see which one is causing the grinding noise.
    I can confirm it is the rear that is causing the noise. What would you recommend doing now?

You will need to replace the ring and pinion diff gears. You have the Ultimate, so the exact replacement will be part #6879. You also have upgrade options (if you want to). There are spiral cut gears for the XO-1 or spiral cut gears from Hot Racing. If you are upgrading only the rear diff, make sure the upgraded gears have the same gear ratio as before (I think the stock is 13/37 but I am not completely certain).

Hope this helps!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    Thank you so much!

RC Competitor
    Iíve noticed after replacing the bearings inside the diff housing I had a clicking sound from the ring and pinion. I took it all back apart give it another good cleaning. No more noise after that. Not saying you have this problem however maybe a good cleaning some new bearings is all you need. If you do replace the ring and pinion I usually just replace those bearings anyway because Iím already in there might as well make everything brand new again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk