RC Competitor

1/16 E-Revo Diff

A day ago I stripped out a diff or well it clicks and grinds real bad. So I took it apart and realized the diff housing is cracked, so I bought new housing and the entire diff, and Shimms to go with it.

I shimmed the front diff and rear diff and was straight forward, But the front diff its all new, I put the halfs together and that screw and it spins easy, no binding nothing, I put that aluminum pice on and I notice it had like a spot that made a noise, I took it apart again and inspected the teeth, and they are fine other than a little bit of diff oil thats spilled out when putting the screws in.

I put it back together and and put that little aluminum piece back in with that center screw, its fine. Once I got to the point where I installed the diff back to the chassis and installed the skid plate, I notice it doing it again, it like the teeth are not perfectly casted?

Took it apart again, cleaned up all of the bearing grease I put in the housing and inspected the teeth again, nothing So I threw it back together and what do ya know, still doing it.

I mean I can drag the car cross a glass table and it doesn't stop or bind up, it just makes a little click as if a tiny piece of rock might be stuck in it or something. I ran it and it acted fine, no issues, can't hear it click at all when its driving around or flooring the guts out of it.

I'm assuming its because of the shim I put in it to put the teeth closer to the pinion? I mean the rear is older but no issues. I don't feel like taking it apart for the 3rd time.

Any input on this? Anyone have similar issues? Think it'll go away over time?

Pinion and diff are brand new, stock parts.

You are most likely correct. Adding to many shims will cause binding because the gear mesh is now incorrect. Either use thinner shims, or take the shims out. The back diff may have different tolerances due to its age and just even simply discrepancies in manufacturing.
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpider25 View Post
    You are most likely correct. Adding to many shims will cause binding because the gear mesh is now incorrect. Either use thinner shims, or take the shims out. The back diff may have different tolerances due to its age and just even simply discrepancies in manufacturing.
    Yeah I ran it 3 times today and it seems fine, like I said no binding or nothing, it'll free roll its self down a slight incline.

So I figured I'll just leave it be, and take it apart in a few months from now and see how its all doing and replace parts when its needed.

Thanks!