RC Racer

Effective motor cooling method

I bought this powerhobby 1/5 fan shroud which comes with 40mm fans. They connect into a singular power cable to go into the receiver. I cut the tabs off of each corner to get a nice flush fit to connect to the xmaxx bracing. I also drilled multiple holes into the heat sink in a star pattern which significantly helped the airflow. It comes with two long zip ties which fits perfectly for how I mounted it and I got glued it so itís nice and stable. My motor cools down real fast now. Might even buy some 40mm high speed aluminum powerhobby fans to make it even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks good. I did something similar using Castle fans.

Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Racer
    i use the castle setup like above and it keeps mine nice and cool. i beat on it like it owes me money.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Looks good. I did something similar using Castle fans.

Is that an aluminum brace Iím seeing under the fan mount? Iíd be very interested to see under the covers of your fan setup.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sur thing.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jjRC View Post
    Is that an aluminum brace I’m seeing under the fan mount? I’d be very interested to see under the covers of your fan setup.

Looks like part of the zip tie to me.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    Looks like part of the zip tie to me.
    I was thinking of the boomerang shape coming off the motor mount. Appeared as though the fan shroud was screwed in but with the rear assembly off I can see that it was not.

Still this is a very clean setup! Nice work, regularguy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks you. Actually, the left black thing going around the left side of the motor is a tie wrap, and the black thing going around the right side of the motor is a temp sensor. The red and blue plugs (sticking out the left side) are for my temp and RPM sensors. I did that, so I could fully separate my Xmaxx in three separate parts; front, middle, and rear without having to take my ESC off to open up my RX box just to disconnect plugs.

When you go to a bigger ESC you kind of loose that ability, so I made it to where I got that original feature back. You might say I wanted my cake, and to eat it too.

My RX box is underneath my homemade ESC mount. If I didn't have the plugs, I'd have to take off my ESC and its' mount each and every time I needed to get into my RX box to disconnect a plug.

RC Racer

Effective motor cooling method

I just made a fan shroud in cad software and sent the stl file to a buddy who printed it already, I will show you guys later.
    The powerhobby one didnít sit into the bracing on the xmaxx well.

RC Racer

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice, but you don't have to go though all that. The Castle fans are under 20 bucks, and it only takes about 5 minutes to modify them for Xmaxx use. Also, no matter which way you go, you don't need to use silicon. (IMO) you want to keep things simple and easy to take on and off.

RC Champion
    $12.95 castle creation fan
    Out of stock

Last edited by CrazyXMAXX; 04-23-2021 at 05:47 AM.
    fabricator

RC Racer
    Nice, but you don't have to go though all that. The Castle fans are under 20 bucks, and it only takes about 5 minutes to modify them for Xmaxx use. Also, no matter which way you go, you don't need to use silicon. (IMO) you want to keep things simple and easy to take on and off.
    Yeah the castle one has been out of stock for some time. I wanted to make my own fan shroud/Mount, it gave me something to do and was a fun project that turned out well. I put the hot glue on the side to make sure the Mount stays in plays and decrease the chances of the zip ties breaking, I do very big jumps. The hot glue will keep it on good enough but when you want it off, you can peel it off with a little effort.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    $12.95 castle creation fan
    Out of stock

Doesn't surprise me. Seems like every thing's out of stock due to this virus thing. I've been lucky so far. The few things I've needed/wanted I've been able to get off of eBay, and at a reasonable price.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtim29 View Post
    Yeah the castle one has been out of stock for some time. I wanted to make my own fan shroud/Mount, it gave me something to do and was a fun project that turned out well. I put the hot glue on the side to make sure the Mount stays in plays and decrease the chances of the zip ties breaking, I do very big jumps. The hot glue will keep it on good enough but when you want it off, you can peel it off with a little effort.

I see. Yeah, if you can't get one, making one is the next best thing. Still though, you don't need the glue. Looking at your tie wraps, you're not going to break all four of those tie wraps all at the same time...no matter how high you jump. The odds of that happening is pretty astronomical. Keep it simple and clean, I always say. If, by chance, you did break all four tie wraps all at the same time (a one in a gazillion chance) that glue isn't going to do anything for you.

I know it's your truck, and I respect that you can do with it as you please, but you did such a beautiful job with everything else. It would be a shame to gum it up with two big globs of adhesive that's really not necessary. Again, you did a really nice job there.

The other thing you might want to consider is:

If you look at where you cut your tie wraps, you have sharp pointy ends sticking out past your tie wrap locks. This is due to you cutting them with standard set of wire cutters, and not "flush cutters."

Flush cutters are wire cutters that don't have a thin groove that runs along the back side of the wire cutter's cutting edge. Flush cutters are specifically made for cutting tie wraps and the component leads of circuit boards used in aviation equipment. I don't think you can get these from Home Dee-pot or Lowe's, but you can get them from a good electronics store. Just ask the clerk for "flush cut wire cutters," and he'll know exactly what you want.

The other thing you can do, if you don't want to get a pair of flush cutters, is file the cut ends of your tie wraps with a file or Dremel tool's drum sanding bit until they are flush and smooth to the touch. Doing this, will keep you from accidentally cutting your fingers in the future.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-24-2021 at 06:32 AM.

RC Racer
    I see. Yeah, if you can't get one, making one is the next best thing. Still though, you don't need the glue. Looking at your tie wraps, you're not going to break all four of those tie wraps all at the same time...no matter how high you jump. The odds of that happening is pretty astronomical. Keep it simple and clean, I always say. If, by chance, you did break all four tie wraps all at the same time (a one in a gazillion chance) that glue isn't going to do anything for you.

I know it's your truck, and I respect that you can do with it as you please, but you did such a beautiful job with everything else. It would be a shame to gum it up with two big globs of adhesive that's really not necessary. Again, you did a really nice job there.

The other thing you might want to consider is:

If you look at where you cut your tie wraps, you have sharp pointy ends sticking out past your tie wrap locks. This is due to you cutting them with standard set of wire cutters, and not "flush cutters."

Flush cutters are wire cutters that don't have a thin groove that runs along the back side of the wire cutter's cutting edge. Flush cutters are specifically made for cutting tie wraps and the component leads of circuit boards used in aviation equipment. I don't think you can get these from Home Dee-pot or Lowe's, but you can get them from a good electronics store. Just ask the clerk for "flush cut wire cutters," and he'll know exactly what you want.

The other thing you can do, if you don't want to get a pair of flush cutters, is file the cut ends of your tie wraps with a file or Dremel tool's drum sanding bit until they are flush and smooth to the touch. Doing this, will keep you from accidentally cutting your fingers in the future.
    Thanks for the advice bro. Iíll probably take that glue off now that I think about it. For the zip ties, I just cut them off with scissors lol. Iíll dremel them down to keep the sharp ends off.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Scissors! Scissors to cut tie wraps!...you and I have to have a little talk. (lol)

RC Racer
    Lol it was 1:00am and I had school [emoji23][emoji2962]

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Say no more...did what you had to do...been there, done that.

RC Champion
    I use computer 80 or 90mm fans, very cheap and easy to install.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    I use computer 80 or 90mm fans, very cheap and easy to install.
    Those at pretty big[emoji23]. Nice man. I just got powerhobby aluminum 40mm tornado fans in the mail, so Iíll install when I get home.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtim29 View Post
    Those at pretty big[emoji23]. Nice man. I just got powerhobby aluminum 40mm tornado fans in the mail, so Iíll install when I get home.

Those fans are amazing. They blow TONS of air and are very Saturday. They Mount up perfectly to my 3D printed Mount.