RC Enthusiast

Slash 2WD w/ Velineon 3500 and VXL-3: 48p vs 42p

Hey guys

After upgrading my sons Slash from the titan to the Velineon, still using NiMh, he crashed 3 spurs already.
    Were still on 16/90 and comparing to the VXL stock gearing we should still be on the safe side.

Now the store told me I should move over to 42 pitch as the gearing is more rugged.

Now my questions are:
    1. Has anyone experience with it?
    2. Is there a comparison table 48 vs 42 pitch so I can choose a gearing as close as possible?

RC Racer
    I believe what you mean is 32 pitch. Lots of people have converted for durability’s sake.

For finding matches between the different pitches, I use an app call Gear Calc. Free on iOS, not sure on Android. Otherwise, I’m sure someone here will have a chart or formula as well.

RC Champion
    Stock slash vxl comes stock with 48p gears. If you are not stripping yours as it is, there is no need to upgrade.

https://traxxas.com/products/models/...xl-tsm?t=specs

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Stock slash vxl comes stock with 48p gears. If you are not stripping yours as it is, there is no need to upgrade.
    ... he crashed 3 spurs already...
    I’d say 32p might be a good idea.

RC Enthusiast
    32p all day no problems. Get a quality hardened robinson racing pinion mated to a traxxas spur.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
    I’d say 32p might be a good idea.
    I have been running 48p Spurs with my 2wd velineon set up for years and no issues. If he keeps “crashing spurs”, whatever that means, on nimh no less, it’s a mesh set up issue.

Go to my post history and look up the kind of builds I build, I’m not easy on drivetrains but in 2wd form the 3500kv set up plays fine with the 48p gear.

RC Qualifier

Slash 2WD w/ Velineon 3500 and VXL-3: 48p vs 42p

Agreed Ive only stripped one and that was due to motor coming loose. Sounds like a mesh problem. Not aligned properly. I use the paper technique. If I can hand turn the gears with a piece of paper running between them, and it comes out rippled. Not too tight to jam it or tear it. Just tight enough to run the paper thru smoothly. 8yrs velineon and castle no strips - one car still has stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Jedi Master"

RC Competitor
    My son also stripped a 48p and I replaced. I was watching his driving technique and seen how he stripped it. He was rolling in reverse and slamming into forward to do wheelies. This is only a titan 12t but still put enough stress to strip the spur. I was going to change it to 32p because of its durability but he lost interest in it and just collects dust.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I have been running 48p Spurs with my 2wd velineon set up for years and no issues. If he keeps “crashing spurs”, whatever that means, on nimh no less, it’s a mesh set up issue.

Go to my post history and look up the kind of builds I build, I’m not easy on drivetrains but in 2wd form the 3500kv set up plays fine with the 48p gear.
    I totally get your point, but I’ve seen my friends kids destroy the most rock solid builds. 6 year olds are magic.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
    I totally get your point, but I’ve seen my friends kids destroy the most rock solid builds. 6 year olds are magic.
    The problem with going to stronger spurs and pinions is then the kids will break the more expensive and time consuming parts to replace like diff gears, diff ring gear, idler gear, output shaft, etc, if it just encourages more shenanigans. You can’t win. Lol.

RC Competitor
    I moved my brother to 32 pitch on his old Rustler, he kept stripping spurs somehow, although I have yet to ever strip one on any of mine. Once I moved him to 32 pitch and adjusted his slipper clutch way loose than whats recommended, he still somehow kept twisting half shafts, moved to steel shafts and he broke the pin on one of the cups, Replaced that and he blew up the diff, just can't win with him, its either no throttle or full throttle with him. That was on a Titan 12T...

Now hes 23 years old with a real car, or well lifted Jeep Cherokee and he last week broke the transfer case in half, I helped him with that, then he shattered the pinion gear on the front axel, not to mention his 4.6 mustang he thought was fast and threw a rod, I guess hes growing up giving it full throttle or no throttle lol