Thread: Smoke?

RC Racer

Smoke?

My TRX-4 released some smoke yesterday; not sure if it was the ESC or the motor.

I pulled the battery just in case that was it and it was not. I have not powered it up again. Both the motor and ESC were very warm. So it's a toss up.

The only other clue was the smell of ozone (elevator smell) which is typically associated with motors. But could come from the ESC. I'm assuming that the ESC would probably have some physical damage if that was it?

Thoughts on which might be blown up?

I have a HW 1080 ready to go and brushed motors are somewhat in expensive, so it might be time to replace both.

RC Qualifier
    What's your setup? Stock traxxas esc and motor? The stock Titan in mine died a few weeks back in the same way. There was smoke out of it and a small fire actually. I powered it on again after a while and it seemed like it had lost half it's power. Worked like that for 10 minutes and then stopped and never worked again.

Went with the Axe R2 system and never looked back.

RC Racer
    probably the motor it released the magic smoke that makes it work my stock one lasted about 45 minutes
    go with a sealed brushless motor like the axe system and it will actually last. if you go in any silty water with an unsealed motor its death for it

RC Racer
    Thank you for the confirmation.

I was thinking about the HW Fusion 1800KV. Seems to be a pretty good setup and quiet too. If not something from Holmes Hobbies. The problem is there are so many different ones and not much explanation about what's what and why you want it.

Last question, if I swap out the ESC for the HW1080, it says 3S LiPo or 9S NiMH: ≥16T or RPM<2000@7.4V. But I see lots of people running 12T motors. Is there some compensation for a 540 vs a 550?

RC Qualifier
    Could be 5-pole 12T motors, which are roughly equivalent to 27T 3-pole motors. I ran a 5-pole 8T for awhile on my 1080, absolutely no issues.

A 12T 3-pole in a crawler doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

RC Qualifier
    It depends on the armature of the brushed motors. For instanse a HH Crawlmaster 550 Sport has 5 slot armature. The 15T is equivalent to 40T 3 slot armature etc. It seems a bit complicated, but if you read through the pages in their site, it explains all

https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations

If you decide to stay brushed, the Crawlmaster series seems the better choise. TRX-4 can accomodate the 550 motors, so not worth looking at the 540. The higher the T, the more torque you'll get from that motor. The lower, more speed. But you can also change the pinion gear and adjust it a little bit to your liking.

RC Racer
    If I go brushed and looking at what Amain has in stock, I'm thinking the TorqueMaster Pro 550 21T or CrawlMaster Sport 550 15T. Both are on the "recommendation" for the TRX-4 with a 2-speed.

From my limited knowledge the Crawlmaster has more slots and will be smother? however, the TorqueMaster is probably the closest to stock but more expensive.

What does the "Pro" get you with the TorqueMaster?

RC Racer
    Ordered the Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster Sport 550 21T.

Thanks for all who answered my stupid questions!