RC poster

Best Beginner Brushless Combo Upgrade for the Slash 2WD?

Hey guys!

I'm about to buy my wife a 2WD Standard Slash and I'm looking to introduce her into the Brushless world, as she has only experienced Brushed bashing thus far.

What would you guys recommend as a good beginner Brushless combo upgrade for the 2WD Standard Slash?

Not looking to drop a huge amount of money on it, that said, I am flexible in my budget to get something that is good for a beginner in the Brushless realm, especially pursuing higher speed. Something that will last and be a reliable option for her.

I figured I could find a combo that's likely cheaper than the VXL system and a little better for beginners, but I may be wrong on that.

Any advice on this would be insanely appreciated!

Thanks!

RC Competitor
    I got a Team Associated (Reedy) 3300kv motor and ESC combo for under $100.00 on eBay. There are a few on there that were removed from unused RTR’s so they are in “as new” condition. They have been reliable in my experience, and they’re fast on 2s, and a beast on 3s. They come with a Deans/t-plug connector so you can run much cheaper LiPo’s than the Traxxas batteries. I like the combo and it’s a lot cheaper than buying a new combo.
    Slash Raptor, Slash Baja Bug Basher, TA Trophy Rat

RC Champion
    Check into the Hobbywing EZRun MAX10 combos. They are sensorless, but they are brushless...in other words, essentially identical in design to the Traxxas Velineon systems. Even better, no soldering required between the motor & ESC - they are "plug & play", just like the Velineon system (but, you do still need to solder on a battery connector, which will be the case no matter what 3rd-party ESC you get). The best thing is that, unlike the Velineon system, the HW MAX10 ESCs are programmable. Depending on the motor, process for the ESC/motor combo range from $102-140.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Champion
    You can get the vxl3s motor and esc here way cheaper than msrp

https://jennysrc.com/collections/sla...timate-68077-4

This system is a pretty good one. Had it in my stampede 2wd for a while and ran it on 3s (back when it was called the Kinexsis 4000 kv). Just watch the temps if you are running hard. It is $75.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../ONXS0501.html
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

If you’re going to get the brushed 2WD Slash and uograde it, why not just spend the extra $80 and get the 2WD Slash VXL w/ TSM?

https://traxxas.com/products/models/.../slash-vxl-tsm

Have fun!
    Last edited by Squeegie; 04-18-2021 at 04:28 PM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    If you’re going to get the brushed 2WD Slash and uograde it, why not just spent the extra $80 and get the 2WD Slash VXL w/ TSM?

Have fun!
    Good call.

RC poster
    That was actually my original plan, but my LHS has the VXL for $350 and the Standard for I believe $195 (It's right under $200) (trying to support local business in these times ya know). So I wanted to see if there was a better budget option, as I do plan to get her into a VXL or Castle system eventually.

RC Champion
    With the vxl you also get the 6533 tqi receiver along with the tqi radio that has TSM built in and many say it has better range than the tq tx/rx set on the brushed model.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    If you’re going to get the brushed 2WD Slash and uograde it, why not just spend the extra $80 and get the 2WD Slash VXL w/ TSM?

Have fun!
    This is the most cost-effective and has the most bang-for-the-buck option if you are not looking for a massive power boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Unstackablecups View Post
    That was actually my original plan, but my LHS has the VXL for $350 and the Standard for I believe $195 (It's right under $200) (trying to support local business in these times ya know). So I wanted to see if there was a better budget option, as I do plan to get her into a VXL or Castle system eventually.
    At $350, your LHS is gouging you, they can be gotten for about $50 less, depending on where you look. My LHS has this model for $309.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Thanks for all of the replies and input everyone! I've decided to go with the VXL 2WD version (whatever I can find cheapest online) and just leave it stock for awhile until stuff starts to break. My wife decided that she wanted to contribute some money to the build, so I have an easier time with going ahead and purchasing it in the next couple weeks!

Great news... I hope she enjoys her new rig!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein