Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Engine issue

  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    3

    Engine issue

    Hi Guys,

    Looking for some advice, my trx4 stock engine just stoped working today.
    It looks like it might have burned, but still wondering why, as not much strange usage been done...
    could wet/soggy tyres cause the engine to burn?

    Also the rubber of the stock tyres seems to have gone more sticky, is this normal?

    Thanks
    Gualter

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    160
    no but taking a unsealed motor through water will kill it in a hurry

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    8,267
    Quote Originally Posted by chris5100 View Post
    no but taking a unsealed motor through water will kill it in a hurry
    Yup, if you have ran your truck through water/mud without doing maintenance on the motor you'll end up frying it quickly. The truck is waterproof, but not maintenance proof.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  4. #4
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    3
    Oh ok thanks.
    I did dry it everytime after use in the water and lubbed it, what else did i need to do?

    Thanks
    Gualter

  5. #5
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutrx4 View Post
    Oh ok thanks.
    I did dry it everytime after use in the water and lubbed it, what else did i need to do?

    Thanks
    Gualter
    Debris can get in the brushes if you don't rinse it with clean water, but the stock motor also isn't very consistent in terms of reliability. If you are looking for a replacement motor, I recommend the Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 21T/27T 550, or the Crawlmaster Sport 10T/12T, since it has better magnets and a ball bearing instead of a bushing on the output shaft (more torque, runs cooler, runs smoother).

    As for the sticky tires, I wouldn't really worry about it. The tires come with some sort of coating from the factory (probably to protect it from hardening or something). And besides, stickier tires are better, since the truck has better traction on different terrain.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  6. #6
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Debris can get in the brushes if you don't rinse it with clean water, but the stock motor also isn't very consistent in terms of reliability. If you are looking for a replacement motor, I recommend the Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 21T/27T 550, or the Crawlmaster Sport 10T/12T, since it has better magnets and a ball bearing instead of a bushing on the output shaft (more torque, runs cooler, runs smoother).

    As for the sticky tires, I wouldn't really worry about it. The tires come with some sort of coating from the factory (probably to protect it from hardening or something). And besides, stickier tires are better, since the truck has better traction on different terrain.
    Ok thanks,
    And all those option are safe with the stock esc and 3s lipo?

    Thanks

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    8,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutrx4 View Post
    Oh ok thanks.
    I did dry it everytime after use in the water and lubbed it, what else did i need to do?

    Thanks
    Gualter
    Maintenance aside, running in water greatly shortens the life of the motor no matter what. When a motor is ran in clean water, the water acts as an abrasive on the brushes, wearing them down. Dirty water and mud have bits of crud in them that wear the motor even faster.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  8. #8
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutrx4 View Post
    Ok thanks,
    And all those option are safe with the stock esc and 3s lipo?

    Thanks
    Yes, they are compatible with the stock ESC and are able to take 3s LiPos.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •