RC poster

$1k Budget on a 2WD Slash - Parts List in Post - Thoughts?

Hey guys,

I'm working on building up a parts list for a $1k 2WD Slash Build over the next 4-6 weeks. I wanted to get some opinions on the list and make sure I was making some solid decisions on everything. I want this thing to be as bullet-proof as possible, all the while more enjoyable to bash and film video with. It's going to be my primary vehicle for filming on tracks, bash sites, and the like. I'm also going to adjust the gearing and use a 3S at some point for higher speed tests, so that's why I want to invest more money into it. I would also like to race it eventually, but not at this time. I'm 100% set on 2WD for this build, as I already have 4WD vehicles and I really want that 2WD experience that I have not had in quite some time.

What do you guys think? Your opinion is greatly appreciated!

Here's the list:
    Traxxas Slash 2WD Standard SCT
    Pro-Line 607000 Extended Body Mounts
    Traxxas 5830 Low-CG Conversion kit
    Pro-Line Powerstroke Shocks (6063-00/6063-01)
    Castle Sidewinder SCT Waterproof CSE010-0164-06 SW4 ESC/3800KV Motor Combo
    Pro-Line Badlands SC 2.2/3.0 Tires w/Raid Wheels - 12mm Removcable Hex
    RPM Caster Blocks
    RPM ESC Cage for Castle Sidewinder SCT
    RPM Front Arms
    RPM Front Bearing Carriers
    RPM Front Bulkhead
    RPM Front Bumper
    RPM Front Shock Tower
    RPM Gear Cover
    RPM Gearbox Housing and Rear Mounts
    RPM Motor Protector
    RPM Rear Bumper Mount
    RPM LCG Nerf Bars
    RPM Rear Arms
    RPM Rear Bearing Carriers
    RPM Rear Bumper
    RPM Rear Shock Tower
    Hot Racing Aluminum 12mm Wheel Hex Hub Set
    Hot Racing Steel Spur Gear 86T/48P
    Hot Racing Aluminum Servo Arm 25T
    Traxxas Drive Shafts TRA1951
    Traxxas 1918 18T 48P Pinion Gear
    Castle ESC Cooling Fan- Sidewinder 4 / SCT
    Team Associated 55WT Shock Oil
    Team Associated 300K Diff Oil
    ProTek RC 100T Standard Digital "High Torque" Metal Gear Servo PTK100T
    Traxxas 2S 2869X 7600 Mah Lipo Battery
    Pro-Line Flo-Tek Body (Clear)

RC Qualifier

$1k Budget on a 2WD Slash - Parts List in Post - Thoughts?

Dang and here I am replacing things as they break. - other than shock towers/ I wanted screw on caps.

But if ur throwing money down - y not do the castle 2200 beef up the tranny a little and be set for power and temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rc_REV; 04-19-2021 at 09:08 AM.
    "Jedi Master"

Steel spur requires a hardened pinion. Instead of standard shafts I would get the Traxxas Rustler 4x4 rear shafts (which I run on my 2wd Slash). I'm partial towards Promodeler servos and you could get a better quality servo and add an external BEC to really get the strength and speed.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Unstackablecups View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm working on building up a parts list for a $1k 2WD Slash Build over the next 4-6 weeks. I wanted to get some opinions on the list and make sure I was making some solid decisions on everything. I want this thing to be as bullet-proof as possible, all the while more enjoyable to bash and film video with. It's going to be my primary vehicle for filming on tracks, bash sites, and the like. I'm also going to adjust the gearing and use a 3S at some point for higher speed tests, so that's why I want to invest more money into it. I would also like to race it eventually, but not at this time. I'm 100% set on 2WD for this build, as I already have 4WD vehicles and I really want that 2WD experience that I have not had in quite some time.

Here's the list:
    RPM Caster Blocks
    RPM Front Arms
    RPM Front Bulkhead
    RPM Front Bumper
    RPM Front Shock Tower
    RPM Gear Cover
    RPM Motor Protector
    RPM Rear Bumper Mount
    RPM LCG Nerf Bars
    RPM Rear Arms
    RPM Rear Bumper
    RPM Rear Shock Tower
    Stay with the stock traxxas a arms . RPM's are too flimsy. Traxxas arms are much more rigid. If you are going to race at a track, invest in the proline protrac suspension kit. It makes a big difference in how the truck handles for the better. Keep in mind though, this changes your wheel offset to 0, like TLR and AE. The proline wheels and tires you have listed will make the truck too wide if you use the protrac suspension.

Go with Traxxas aluminium bearing carriers front and rear. I have found the rpm plastic to be too soft for these.

RPM Shock towers are too flimsy And bend more when your suspension is under compression Which will negatively affect how your truck will handle.

Stick with the stock plastic spur gear. If you set your mesh correctly, you'll never have a problem. If you do strip it, it's easy to fix and is cheap . It's better to have this as your weak link in the drive train. With a steel spur, something else becomes the weak link like transmission gears. It's so much easier to change a plastic spur gear.

Traxxas transmissions will not hold diff fluid. You will have to go with a FLM transmission if you want it to hold diff fluid.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Pretty much agree with MaxDee’s reply. Metal spur gear will cause things to break unlike the plastic spurs. If you want to beef it up you can go with 32 pitch in plastic. You can get away with 300k fluid in the stock differential...that what I been using for awhile now....barley leaks. 300k will nearly lock the differential if that’s what your after.

RC Racer
    Hey guys,

Here's the list:
    RPM Caster Blocks
    RPM Front Arms
    RPM Front Bulkhead
    RPM Front Bumper
    RPM Front Shock Tower
    RPM Gear Cover
    RPM Motor Protector
    RPM Rear Bumper Mount
    RPM LCG Nerf Bars
    RPM Rear Arms
    RPM Rear Bumper
    RPM Rear Shock Tower
    Been there! I spent a fortune on mine also.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Finz View Post
    You can get away with 300k fluid in the stock differential...that what I been using for awhile now....barley leaks.
    I didn't know this. Good to know.

RC Competitor
    Hey guys,

Here's the list:
    RPM Caster Blocks
    RPM Front Arms
    RPM Front Bulkhead
    RPM Front Bumper
    RPM Front Shock Tower
    RPM Gear Cover
    RPM Motor Protector
    RPM Rear Bumper Mount
    RPM LCG Nerf Bars
    RPM Rear Arms
    RPM Rear Bumper
    RPM Rear Shock Tower
    Why are you buying a Slash to start? After reviewing the above parts list, youíre basically building one from scratch. Why drop $200+ when it just becomes a hardware donor?
    Slash Raptor, Slash Baja Bug Basher, TA Trophy Rat

RC Qualifier
    [emoji3516]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Jedi Master"

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    Traxxas transmissions will not hold diff fluid. You will have to go with a FLM transmission if you want it to hold diff fluid.

I like the Hot Racing sealed diff kits. I have them in both of my 2wdís and (despite what some say) if they are properly assembled and sealed they donít leak whatsoever. Itís hard to beat them for $25 considering what a huge tuning boon they are.

RC Competitor
    Hey guys,
    The 3800kv might be a little much for 3s. Not experienced with the castle combos, but most recommend 3300kv in a truck of this weight when running 3s. Others have said that even the 3500 VXL setups are too much, and that’s why they have a reputation for overheating. Can anyone with more experience weigh in on this?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducati Pilot View Post
    The 3800kv might be a little much for 3s. Not experienced with the castle combos, but most recommend 3300kv in a truck of this weight when running 3s. Others have said that even the 3500 VXL setups are too much, and thatís why they have a reputation for overheating. Can anyone with more experience weigh in on this?
    I agree with this. I wouldn't go any higher than 3300kv for 3s. You will have heat issues with the 3800kv on 3s.

RC Champion
    To the OP, why not look at a mid-motor truck from a different company. They are pretty much upgraded out of the box, and would be better handling for both speed runs and at the track. You would actually save yourself money in the long run.
    I have a mid-motor truck from a company that starts with T, not Traxxas, and that thing is like driving on rails at the track. I don't have to about wheelies with that truck. Just awesome!

Last edited by MaXDee; 04-20-2021 at 08:25 AM.

RC Champion
    Post Deleted

RC poster
    I sincerely appreciate all of the responses!

I'm putting this project on the backburner for the next several weeks while my wife picks up her Slash and I complete my 1/16 Summit project. I'm likely going to go ahead and buy the base vehicle in May, then start upgrading it around June.

I have decided to actually go the Stock 2WD VXL route instead of buying a Castle system for it and run both 2S and 3S depending on speed runs or bashing. I'm going to scale back a bit on the RPM parts and just buy some of the basic stuff, all the while waiting until stuff breaks in like the A-Arm department before deciding what to do next.

I'm likely going to split the upgrade into two phases after thinking about it a bit more, as I do want to break through some parts before replacing them directly, so I'm really going to focus the immediate future on beefing up the tires, electronics, shocks, the needs for the LCG setup, and I'm going to stick with a stock body until I break it.

My wife and I have been talking extensively about our impending slash builds and she's basically encouraging me to break stuff first, so I can buy upgrades. Lol. I'm not complaining about that, plus it gives me more time to save and buy the right parts for the build in more of a bulk fashion rather than 1 or 2 at a time, which I love having extensive all-day projects instead of just my small upgrade one at a time type of thing.

Overall, I'm still going to stick with a lot of Pro-Line parts and I'm really going to focus on a quality Servo setup and the LCG configuration for now, then go from there.

Again, thanks so much for your replies!

RC Racer
    Make it 8s lol would be crazy fast
    When You Feel Down Send It To The MOON!!