RC poster

Upgrading questions

Hi all, new owner here. Bought a brushed 4x4 not long ago and quickly decided to add the vxl 3s. Only running 2s so far, and I have noticed more torque but not a dramatic increase in speed. Still using the stock gearing from the brushed package. Just wondering what further upgrades are needed to get the truck to vxl spec and maybe see some more performance from my new engine. Any help from some experienced owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bribbins View Post
    Hi all, new owner here. Bought a brushed 4x4 not long ago and quickly decided to add the vxl 3s. Only running 2s so far, and I have noticed more torque but not a dramatic increase in speed. Still using the stock gearing from the brushed package. Just wondering what further upgrades are needed to get the truck to vxl spec and maybe see some more performance from my new engine. Any help from some experienced owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Start by refferring to your manual for instructions, but tighten your slipper clutch and see what THAT yields u FIRST! FULLY TIGHTENED DOWN TILL NUT STOPS! No further! You're NOT trying to pull thr threads off the slipper shaft, nor are you trying to crush/ruin the clutch spring directly under said-nut. Tight is NOT 1:1 tight! Lol

Then VERRY slowly/Carefully back the slipper adjusting nut off, start with using ONE corner of the hexagonal as start reference and turn 1/8th turn "lefty-loosey". Run it. Report back

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier

Upgrading questions

The brushed rustler 4x4 has a different gear ratio vs the vxl model. If you want to have VXL spec gearing you can buy VXL spec diffs off eBay for cheap, they are around 13-15 each.

Youíll also need the aluminum center drive shaft and the small gear that goes on the front diff for the aluminum center drive shaft.

Stock gearing is 11/54 I think for the rustler 4x4 VXL, while the brushed model is 10/54.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rocketzx1; 04-19-2021 at 10:58 PM.
    I'm just a noob

RC Competitor
    If you go abouts changing over the diff gears might as well do the XO1 diff mod. Doesn't cost much and really beefs up the internal diff gearing
    Rustler 4x4: MambaX, HobbyWing 3660

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Trx4newb View Post
    Start by refferring to your manual for instructions, but tighten your slipper clutch and see what THAT yields u FIRST! FULLY TIGHTENED DOWN TILL NUT STOPS! No further! You're NOT trying to pull thr threads off the slipper shaft, nor are you trying to crush/ruin the clutch spring directly under said-nut. Tight is NOT 1:1 tight! Lol

Then VERRY slowly/Carefully back the slipper adjusting nut off, start with using ONE corner of the hexagonal as start reference and turn 1/8th turn "lefty-loosey". Run it. Report back

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Tried that out no difference noted. I think my problem might be in the front differential. Thereís a clicking when the front wheels spin.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    The brushed rustler 4x4 has a different gear ratio vs the vxl model. If you want to have VXL spec gearing you can buy VXL spec diffs off eBay for cheap, they are around 13-15 each.

Youíll also need the aluminum center drive shaft and the small gear that goes on the front diff for the aluminum center drive shaft.

Going to replace the differentials,

Stock gearing is 11/54 I think for the rustler 4x4 VXL, while the brushed model is 10/54.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Going to replace the differentials and then try out some different gearing options. Thanks!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrz13 View Post
    If you go abouts changing over the diff gears might as well do the XO1 diff mod. Doesn't cost much and really beefs up the internal diff gearing
    Iíll keep that in mind, thanks!