Thread: Dies at idle

RC Enthusiast

Dies at idle

Truck runs amazing after taking it out of storage. Starts super easy, throttle response is snappy, and plenty of blue smoke with temps going between 240-250. When truck idles for about 5 seconds after a pass it suddenly dies. When restarting it only starts up again with throttle. The engine does fire without throttle but dies as soon as ez start comes off.
    Steps i have taken so far
    1. Reset HSN, LSN, Idle to factory settings, problem persist during entire tune process
    2. Increased idle screw, truck creeps forward without brakes applied, truck dies in same fashion as above.
    3. Cleaned and replaced air filter.
    Any thoughts on what to check next?

Glow plug .
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    forgot to mention, i replaced the glow plug as well, traxxas brand

Try richening your LSN. It could be starving for fuel at idle.
    YouTube - chops1sc

After the engine warms up does it stay running other than the idle issue?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    After the engine warms up does it stay running other than the idle issue?
    Yes the truck runs great even when cold, the idle issue persist when the engine is cold and when its at temp. When i bring it in after a pass or a few slow circles, the engine sounds like its at a higher idle but it slows down over a few seconds then cuts out. dont have enough time to do a pinch test even with body off. The engine is also newer, less than a gallon through it, has never overheated.

RC Enthusiast
    Just replaced the fuel lines. No change to idle or performance. I’m stumped at this point.

Have you adjusted the HSN and LSN at all since break-in? Sounds like its starving for fuel at idle. It is using up the fuel remaining in the carb when you slow down/idle then it dies because it has no more fuel. The LSN regulates how much fuel gets into the carb at idle. Try to richen the LSN about 15 minutes (90 deg) and see what happens.
    YouTube - chops1sc

You said it creeps. Have you taken off the bell and inspected the shoes/springs/bearings? A weak or broken spring will cause it to drag too low in the RPM's and will kill it. Old tired/worn/dry bearings will do something similar, usually failing completely at some point. Worn shoes that have burrs on them will hang up on the flywheel and not close properly as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

I agree with olds97. See if it will idle when the clutch bell is moved away from the spur gear.

RC Enthusiast
    i got some telemetry parts in the mail today to add to both my revo and jato, both older models that did not have it. clutch spring was barely hanging on as i removed it before it snapped. I have had the spring on jato break on me twice and it would die the moment i let off throttle, easy diagnosis, but i had no idea the weak spring would make it look like a horrible tune. Learn something every day.

Glad you got it figured out! Nitro can be a beast when diagnosing issues for sure. Most people just give up, LOL!
    YouTube - chops1sc

Quote Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
    Glad you got it figured out! Nitro can be a beast when diagnosing issues for sure. Most people just give up, LOL!
    Ain't that the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Badass_Varkid View Post
    i got some telemetry parts in the mail today to add to both my revo and jato, both older models that did not have it. clutch spring was barely hanging on as i removed it before it snapped. I have had the spring on jato break on me twice and it would die the moment i let off throttle, easy diagnosis, but i had no idea the weak spring would make it look like a horrible tune. Learn something every day.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    You said it creeps. Have you taken off the bell and inspected the shoes/springs/bearings? A weak or broken spring will cause it to drag too low in the RPM's and will kill it. Old tired/worn/dry bearings will do something similar, usually failing completely at some point. Worn shoes that have burrs on them will hang up on the flywheel and not close properly as well.

< drops mic >
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Badass_Varkid View Post
    Yep, I've had that in the past. Usually with a clutch like traxxas uses where it's just one long spring wrapped around the shoes. If you overheat the clutch at some point, or repeatedly, the spring weakens. Easy to do on the larger trucks like the revo/tmaxx. Not as prominent of an issue on the rustler/jato/stampede/slayer though as the clutch doesn't usually have to work as hard. Unless you overgear for your terrain/tires.

The burrs on the shoes is more of an issue with alloy shoes, but I've had those hang up and cause stalls too.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC poster
    This has to be one of the uncomfotable moments when you're planning to post a specific comment, and right before posting it you notice that another person already did it LOL.

RC Enthusiast
    Haha. At least someone looked before posting . That was my third clutch spring in about 10 years, 2 were in the last month lol