RC poster

Best way to remove the tires from rims?

Hi guys,

I was wondering what the safest way to remove the tires from the rims are. I've read about the heat gun method, but that seems too risky for me. Is there a safer method to do this without risking damage to either the rims, or the tire? I am wanting to remove the stock plastic rims and put on aftermarket beadlocks, but plan to reuse those rims on a later date. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Corndog

RC Qualifier
    What I've done successfully in the past is boiling.

Get the water up to a rolling boil, and put a tire in for 10 minutes. That's usually enough to break the glue down.

However, it depends on the glue job. Some glue jobs are super gnarly, and even 20 minutes per tire wasn't enough to break down the glue.

If it does work, everything is reusable, including the foam once it dries out.

RC Racer
    I always use acetone....soak them for a couple days....shake the container.....and it works....

I used the baking method with the most success.

Boiling was irritating and you had hot water squirting everywhere if you tried testing to see if the glue released.

Having them in the actual acetone works great, except it destroys the foams because the acetone dissolves the glue, which then saturates the foams. When the foams dry, they are hard as a rock.

Having them in a sealed bucket with acetone in it and using the fumes works, but takes a long time.

I can't for the life of me remember how hot I put the oven when I baked them, but many years ago, I removed 20 or so tires in an afternoon with that method when I was switching tires from 14mm to 17mm wheels for my MT's at the time. One thing to note, put the tires on a cookie sheet with tin foil and use a cookie sheet that is wide enough to not allow the tires to overhang the sheet at all. You want the ambient heat in the oven, but not direct heat. I ruined a couple tires as they hung over the edge and melted.

I used kevlar cooking gloves to handle the tires and I'd push down near the bead with increasing pressure causing the tire to pull at the bead. When baked long enough, the bead just pops off. If it doesn't give, bake longer. I want to say you set the temp around 225-250F and bake in 15-20 minute intervals.

I did have a couple casualties as the beads of some of my tires were chewed up pretty bad from running at skate parks.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Enthusiast
    I have had great success with covering the bottom of a bucket with 3-4" of acetone, placing the tires on a grate above the acetone (not in it), sealing the bucket and waiting at least 48 hours. If you seal the bucket completely, the fumes will make the tires come right off the wheels without much trouble at all, might have to pull or pry some areas.

RC poster
    Some great ideas, guys. It seems every method has pros and cons. If I boil it, I worry I may ruin the tires, like make it all stretchy and out of shape. If I bake it, I worry that I might melt it, and then there's the acetone and the foam thingy, lol. I'll probably start off with the fumes first. That seems to be the least invasive, and idiot proof. If that doesn't work for me, I'll elevate it to one of the other methods. Thanks for chiming in with some ideas for me. Much appreciated

RC Racer
    I like the acetone method....Less likely to mess up a rim and a tire....foam is cheap....and if your getting new tires....should come with foam anyways
    Last edited by FlyingDutchman; 04-22-2021 at 04:47 PM.

Would be helpful if I could find some 1/2" offset 17mm 3.2" MT wheels... I still have 3 or 4 sets of tires I never remounted. Should probably just throw them away...
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Qualifier
    I ruined a rim in boiling water. Strongest glue I've ever seen. Kept trying and boiling longer and longer, then warped the rim trying to pry it off. Had sucess with the oven a while back. Want to say it was 200F or maybe lower. Haven't had the need to do so in years, but if I do, I'll be using the acetone fume method.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Better to be safe....then sorry....thats how I do all off mine....

RC Qualifier
    Other than boiling, I've found the safest, and most effective way to remove tires from wheels is by loosening, then removing the beadlock ring hardware and rings...

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.