RC poster

Traxxas Maxx unimpressed :(

Well i have to say that i have recently purchased a Maxx as i am very new to the hobby and looking around at reviews and online videos i thought this would be the one for me as supposedly bullet proof.

We i have only taken it out twice and it has broken both times i am not bashing it hard at all as i am still only learning and running it on 3S, first time the wheelie bar broke which didn't really bother me to much as can still use it. the second time the C hub a Steering knuckle broke and now can't use it until get replacements,
    Considering it's reputation this is disappointing to say the least.

I have ordered some Vitavon steering parts so hope that helps.

Also on a side note the self righting doesn't seem to work is that because i am only on 3S?

RC Racer
    I have no idea how you could be breaking the maxx while on 3s and "taking it easy." I can do back flips 8ft in the air for a full battery charge and nothing breaks. Also the hubs are the only parts that break which is a good thing. They aren't expensive and it is much cheaper than having to replace other parts that could be breaking instead. The only time I break the hubs is when I land awkward. I also wouldn't be using the self righting because it destroys the drive train.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremercing View Post
    I have no idea how you could be breaking the maxx while on 3s and "taking it easy."

I also wouldn't be using the self righting because it destroys the drive train.

Yeah i have no idea either that is why i am a little disappointed at the moment, but like you said they are only cheep parts

Thank for the advise on the self righting i will just have to keep an eye on that as one of the reason i got the maxx was for this as i am in a wheelchair and can't always get to it to turn it back over

Quote Originally Posted by Craigyboy3542 View Post
    Also on a side note the self righting doesn't seem to work is that because i am only on 3S?
    The self righting will work better on 4s. I use the self-righting feature occasionally myself. I understand that it causes extra "wear and tear" with extra maintenance. But it's worth it for the convenience when it's hard to get to it.

RC Racer
    Are you running it on cold weather? Plastic can get a bit brittle when cold.

RC poster
    the very inexpensive to replace hub parts are like fuses for bad landings and protect the truck nicely.... be prepared to play "chase the weak point" when introducing heavier stronger aluminum parts, you could just transfer breakage to the a-arms (harder repair double the cost of hubs)... self righting works great on 4s almost non-existent on 3s... I do use it the only wear I've found is you need to inspect the tires after every run for separation.. nothing a dab of gorilla super glue doesn't take care of

Well, any truck will break if you land on something just right or hit an inanimate object just right.

When I'm out running my RC's, I'm pretty hard on them. At times I'm amazed what they can drive away from and other times amazed at how little it appeared to take to break something.

I've read that the c-hubs are a bit weak on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigyboy3542 View Post
    Yeah i have no idea either that is why i am a little disappointed at the moment, but like you said they are only cheep parts

Thank for the advise on the self righting i will just have to keep an eye on that as one of the reason i got the maxx was for this as i am in a wheelchair and can't always get to it to turn it back over
    If you really want to use the self righting for your condition and are willing to pay the extra money for having to replace the drivetrain more often I would do it. Also as someone else said it will work better on 4s. If you find 4s too hard to control you can program the esc (I don't know how though) or you can pick up a traxxas Bluetooth link and adjust the settings on the truck in the app.

What terrain are you driving it on? There are different gear ratios and suspension set ups that can help reduce damage to the truck. For myself I have to put very thick oil in the shocks and cranked the springs up a fair bit because I bash it pretty hard. I don't believe I changed my spur or pinion gear size because it worked just fine as is.

Realistically the only parts I break regularly are the front c hubs or axle carriers. Imo it's because there are thin sections that generate a massivly weak spot that could afford to have some more beef to it. Unless there is a catastrophic collision (light pole or other immobile object) I would say that on 3s there shouldn't be too much breaking other than those two.