RC Competitor

Castle 1410-3800kv motor an Sidewinder4 ESC

Hows it going everyone, Been a while since I been into RC's, I've had this motor combo installed for awhile and I ordered a temp gun and it got here and its not working, so have a replacement on the way.

I've only been running it for a short time and feeling the motor with my finger every time, and if I Can't hold it on for 3 sec I just pull it in and let it cool, even though its probably under that 180f, I don't want to risk it until I get a working temp gun. My luck has been awful lately.

My slash 2wd is nearly stock with some RPM stuff and slash 4x4 rear half shafts, and I run 3s 25C 4000mah battery and a 3s 25C 5000mah battery. Currently I have it geared 23/90 and its too fast to keep the front end down before the body catches the the wind and lifts the front end up, so I'm hardly ever at full throttle. I had it geared 16/90 and speed is still impressive, but temps seems to increase even faster with this gearing, assuming because I could keep it at full throttle more.

ESC stay cool, its got an active fan on it.

Anyone whos had or have the 1410-3800kv motor, what gearing would you all recommend for 3s and just driving around and drifting around on dirt? I don't jump the thing or anything or go from stop to 100% throttle.

Thanks for taking your time and reading. I do have a replacement temp gun being shipped, unfortunately its USPS so I expect a month on shipping....

RC Competitor
    23 pinion seems like a bit much for a 3800kv on 3s. Good you have another heat gun coming. I’d try going down to at least a 19t pinion, but the heat gun will tell. It ain’t the heat of the summer yet, either. Just keep an eye on temps.
    Slash Raptor, Slash Baja Bug Basher, TA Trophy Rat

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducati Pilot View Post
    23 pinion seems like a bit much for a 3800kv on 3s. Good you have another heat gun coming. Iíd try going down to at least a 19t pinion, but the heat gun will tell. It ainít the heat of the summer yet, either. Just keep an eye on temps.
    I took your advice and did a little more research although all I could find is like 4x4 slash or stampedes with this setup or 2wd slash with 2s.

I geared it down to 16/86 for now. Once my temp gun gets here, I'll see what temps it runs at and gear from there, I'll probbaly end up getting more pinions as I only have a 16 tooth and 23 tooth pinion and 86 and 90 spur.

RC Champion
    16/90 on 2s is plenty fast for me, but if I ran 3s, I would still keep it 16/90.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    16/90 on 2s is plenty fast for me, but if I ran 3s, I would still keep it 16/90.
    I second this. I run this same gearing and system in my 2wd stampede on 3s with the beefy 2.8 trenchers. Watch your temps if you do many repeated speedruns in warm or hot weather regardless because running 3s is going to be more heat, so don't fry your motor. In cool weather though, you can pretty much run this system as hard as you want. Just as RCWilly says though, this system is plenty with this gearing, just I run 3s, not 2s.
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

Quote Originally Posted by Viking2121 View Post
    I took your advice and did a little more research although all I could find is like 4x4 slash or stampedes with this setup or 2wd slash with 2s.

I geared it down to 16/86 for now. Once my temp gun gets here, I'll see what temps it runs at and gear from there, I'll probbaly end up getting more pinions as I only have a 16 tooth and 23 tooth pinion and 86 and 90 spur.

You didn’t gear it down by going from 90t to 86t; you geared up. Also, there is a strong advisement from Castle (as posted on their site and in the manual) that the system is recommended for a max of 2s in SCT vehicles...but...a very conservative gearing if you go 3s - which is a change from the previous version of the system.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    You didn’t gear it down by going from 90t to 86t; you geared up. Also, there is a strong advisement from Castle (as posted on their site and in the manual) that the system is recommended for a max of 2s in SCT vehicles...but...a very conservative gearing if you go 3s - which is a change from the previous version of the system.
    Double G is spot on. I would go 16/90. VXL runs 23/86 stock, but that’s only a 3500kv and it still overheats on 3s. Keep it conservative especially with 3s. And when all is said and done, it’s still going to be a handful to control off the line and a freaking missile on the top end. It’s a LOT on a rear motor 2wd.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post

I geared the pinion down, and geared the spur up, 16/86 is not that much different than with the 90spur. that 90 spur I have anyway, is hard to get the mesh right, its got a weird spot in it that is real loose and another sport that too tight, so gearing it up with a 86 spur took away the fear of stripping the spur.

I would assume its closer to 18/90 ratio with the current 16/86.

But yeah, I know I geared it up on the spur and down the pinion, still lower than 23/90 anyway.

RC Competitor
    Well 16/86 with a full 5000mah 25c 3s with a ton of full throttle and some grass, max temp I seen was 156F with my new temp gun. Maybe later on i'll play with a bigger pinion, but im happy with it. Half the time Im not full throttling it as Im just messing around in dirt drifting around. ESC was only 104F with the batt at 98F.

I did get 45 run time out of that pack, and yeah the finger test, my too hot is around 115F, I can hardly keep my finger on it for a sec.

RC Competitor
    That’s great, no problem with those temps. How’s the 3800? It must be fast!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducati Pilot View Post
    Thatís great, no problem with those temps. Howís the 3800? It must be fast!
    It's fast, it'll wheelie pretty much on command, although I do think I'm underheated some, full throttle is about 30mph which I mean is fast, but notice it didn't get nearly as hot when I had the 23 tooth pinion installed, but I could never get full throttle. I may gear up to 19 tooth. Just can't test it yet, weather just isn't great at the moment.

RC Competitor
    Well I did decide to gear it up the pinion, back on 23/90 and used a full 5000mah 3s pack, temps were in the ball park of 130f, and today was much hotter. Could if of been possible I was under geared? All the signs lead to that, an what research I found its so conflicting, some saying its not possible to under gear brushless, although some of it does make sense I mean at 16/86 I was full throttle a lot, while 23/90 eh, full throttle tends to pick up the front end at a point and flips, so lower RPM = lower temps, but also increased load on acceleration with a bigger pinion, so idk.

I'll keep it 23/90 and monitor temps, I haven't had time to really mess with it, nor has the weather been permitting, got stuck in a down pour today, I hate Ohio weather....

RC Racer
    Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada-The Wet Coast!
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking2121 View Post
    ...got stuck in a down pour today, I hate Ohio weather....
    Dude, try living in B.C.! They don't call it the "Wet Coast" for nothing !
    Slash 2WD Vision Edition
    200+ posts, here I come!