Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Galway, Ireland
    Posts
    175

    All lights on MAXX ESC flashing red :(

    Hey guys,

    I recently got into the hobby and less than two months ago I bought myself a MAXX and I'm loving the experience so far.

    Today however, I put on a fully charged pack and literally 2 minutes in the car turned off. I tried to turn it on again and all lights on the esc are flashing red. The manual says "programming error", whatever that means. The receiver to power on, servo works and motor fan is on, but esc fan is off and got no throttle.

    My guess is the esc is fried.... but I don't understand how! I'm not a hard basher at all, I do very moderate jumps and run on street and grass mostly.

    Is this a common thing?

    I'm waiting for Traxxas support to open to see what they say.

  2. #2
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by DaniC View Post
    Hey guys,

    I recently got into the hobby and less than two months ago I bought myself a MAXX and I'm loving the experience so far.

    Today however, I put on a fully charged pack and literally 2 minutes in the car turned off. I tried to turn it on again and all lights on the esc are flashing red. The manual says "programming error", whatever that means. The receiver to power on, servo works and motor fan is on, but esc fan is off and got no throttle.

    My guess is the esc is fried.... but I don't understand how! I'm not a hard basher at all, I do very moderate jumps and run on street and grass mostly.

    Is this a common thing?

    I'm waiting for Traxxas support to open to see what they say.
    The same thing happened to my sons MAXX ESC, We contacted Traxxas Warranty, they had us send in the ESC and motor at our expense, we received an e-mail that they received and checked the parts, they determined the motor was fine and the ESC was not, then we had to wait nearly a month for Traxxas to get the ESC's back in stock. It's been good ever since we installed the replacement.

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    34
    Traxxas warranty will probably cover you because you are pretty close to their 30 day period. My contact was quite nice.

    My Maxx is several months old and I’ll have to pay the warranty replacement fee. Less cost than buying a new esc but still kind of a bummer.

    Question for all, my Maxx exhibited extreme signs of cogging, i.e. shuttering, when accelerating slowly from a stop. It was fine when accelerating much faster from a start. Then my esc died prematurely, all flashing red.
    My Xmaxx exhibited the same cogging and the esc shorted out after less than a dozen runs. Is there a correlation here?

    My second Xmaxx is smooth as butter at crawling speeds. My friends Maxx’s are also smooth as butter.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Galway, Ireland
    Posts
    175
    I contacted Traxxas and they said I had to talk to my hobby shop for a warranty replacement. So I sent my LHS all the details and he said he'd put the request to Traxxas and that they will probably replace the ESC, we'll see.
    It seems like a fairly common thing, found this video and the guy describes exactly what happened to me, and apparently a bunch others with the same experiences in the comments. And it seems it's usually either on first run out of the box, or at 6-8 weeks of use.
    Hopefully I'll get a replacement and it won't take too long, and hopefully that replacement will be a good one and will last a reasonable amount of time, otherwise I'll have to think about alternative esc/motor combos. But I don't really want to do that, that would mean I would loose the telemetry I currently have through the link module, and it will also mean the led kit won't work anymore.

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    7
    I had the same problem TWICE, the first time, Traxxas made me send in my whole car and I was forced to pay $125 for shipping. They replaced the ESC and one week later, the same thing happened. This time I said forget traxxas and got the Hobby wing MAX6 ESC and WOW, its such an improvement over the stock ESC its not even a competition. I fully recommend it.

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Galway, Ireland
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by FrazierMedina View Post
    I had the same problem TWICE, the first time, Traxxas made me send in my whole car and I was forced to pay $125 for shipping. They replaced the ESC and one week later, the same thing happened. This time I said forget traxxas and got the Hobby wing MAX6 ESC and WOW, its such an improvement over the stock ESC its not even a competition. I fully recommend it.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I am thinking about that and I've opened another thread to have a discussion on recommendations about that. My current thinking is to have a spare esc+motor so that when things blow up I can get back up and running quickly.

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    91
    Do yourself a favor when you get the parts from traxxas , sell them and buy what you want..After the 2nd esc went out on mine , I went with a hobbywing max 8. Huge improvement. I mounted it to this plate from xtreme racing rc.

    https://www.xtremercracing.com/Produ...SC_PLATE/10681

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Galway, Ireland
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD@_FL View Post
    Do yourself a favor when you get the parts from traxxas , sell them and buy what you want..After the 2nd esc went out on mine , I went with a hobbywing max 8. Huge improvement. I mounted it to this plate from xtreme racing rc.

    https://www.xtremercracing.com/Produ...SC_PLATE/10681
    Thanks for your comment! Yes, I'm inclining towards the max8. Did you go with the esc+motor combo or did youleave the stock motor?

    Thanks for that tip on that mounting plate, that's awesome! So what's the idea? Mounting plate attaches to chasis using stock esc screw holes and then you drill holes for then new esc onto the mounting plate?

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by DaniC View Post
    Thanks for your comment! Yes, I'm inclining towards the max8. Did you go with the esc+motor combo or did youleave the stock motor?

    Thanks for that tip on that mounting plate, that's awesome! So what's the idea? Mounting plate attaches to chasis using stock esc screw holes and then you drill holes for then new esc onto the mounting plate?
    Went with the combo , 2200kv ,the extra torque is awesome.
    The HW esc comes with a mounting plate , attach that to the esc then , screw the carbon fiber one to the chassis.
    Use double face tape or shoe goo between the two mounting plates.

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    91
    I drilled a hole in the carbon fiber plate so I could zip tie the excess wires down to the plate.
    Also centered the esc , so the whole thing comes out by just unscrewing carbon mounting plate.






  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Galway, Ireland
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD@_FL View Post
    Went with the combo , 2200kv ,the extra torque is awesome.
    The HW esc comes with a mounting plate , attach that to the esc then , screw the carbon fiber one to the chassis.
    Use double face tape or shoe goo between the two mounting plates.
    Amazing! I'm going to copy your setup!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •