RC Racer

A fix for the Velineon 380 heat issue?

Hello everyone,

Recently I was running my mini summit on 3s, with 25/55 gearing. It's basically a merv though, has been converted to the shorter arms and suspension, I just have the bigger tires on it. After running a full 3s pack through it, the car seems to get quite hot. Around 165-170 degrees Fahrenheit. This isn't terrible, and I know that the motor can probably be pushed to 180 and still be ok, but for my driving style this is getting pretty warm.

I did some research and found that the maximum rpm of the motor is 50,000. I was just curious, so I multiplied the kv (4000) by the voltage of a fully charged 3s lipo (12.6 volts) and I get 50,400 rpm. This means that this motor is spinning at an rpm faster than what it should be when using 3s. I was wondering if I use 2s, and gear it up will I get the same speed but lower temps because the motor isn't being pushed so hard?

Thanks!

RC Racer
    For the heating problem picking up a passive heat sink (no fan) should drop it by ~20. I only run 2s but from everything I've heard people who run 3s use a heatsink and fan combo. I wouldn't know what to buy but someone else might know.

As for the voltage problem I wouldn't even worry about it because batteries typically run slightly under the rated voltage under load and as you know lipos have voltage drop off. So if it really bothers you I would say to take it easy for the first few minutes to let the battery discharge a little.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Yeah racing heat sink and fan combo.

I've yet to install mine so can't get feedback.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Integy heat sink w/40mm yeah racing fan and 25mm yeah racing ESC fan. Requires a bec or stand alone battery for fans but you won’t have temps above 120 on 3s. Granted now that I bumped up to the 2.2 trenchers it stays closer to the 120 than not.

(Reference: My own merv).

RC Competitor
    Yeah on my Merv on 2s with stock gearing and tires and a grease packed diffs I get around 140 - 150F. I do see a jump to around 160 165F on the motor with 2s lipos in Parallel, ESC gets slightly over 100F with 1 battery and 115F with 2, more weight and more punch in parallel.

I'd say your over geared for 3s on them tires. I have ordered a 3s for my Merv but it still hasn't showed up so I can't really say, but I would imagine 3s you need to drop pinions down a few teeth. I'd say 20 tooth and see what it runs at, still plenty fast, but would keep ya under 180f I'd think.

Hope this helps!

Using 3S on the Velineon 380, is pushing it to its limits.
    Lowering voltage and try to reach the same speed by changing the gearing, is a good solution to keep the rpms below the max.
    Sadly, when you want the same power with a lower voltage, you need to increase the current. Since heat production is influenced by current and not by voltage, gearing up and lowering voltage will only make your problem worse.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Champion
    Using 3s on most RTR Traxxas ESC/motor combos is an exercise in planned obsolescence. Yes they will work but will be destroying itself at a much accelerated rate. Don't trust the marketing, they want you to destroy your investment at the fastest and funnest rate possible. So you buy more parts.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Using 3s on most RTR Traxxas ESC/motor combos is an exercise in planned obsolescence. Yes they will work but will be destroying itself at a much accelerated rate. Don't trust the marketing, they want you to destroy your investment at the fastest and funnest rate possible. So you buy more parts.
    I don’t know man, put a good fan/heatsink setup and you can use 3s to your hearts desire without any probs. I don’t buy into your statements much.

Traxxas has to balance cost to consumers vs the type of parts they put into their vehicles. Sure they could put the heavy duty parts into everything from the beginning, but you’d also have a much more expensive purchase. Yes, they are a business, but compared to many other brands, their stuff is very good quality out of the box and designed well. We can all complain about how things don’t meet our specific preference but that will be the case with anything anywhere.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    I don’t know man, put a good fan/heatsink setup and you can use 3s to your hearts desire without any probs. I don’t buy into your statements much.

Traxxas has to balance cost to consumers vs the type of parts they put into their vehicles. Sure they could put the heavy duty parts into everything from the beginning, but you’d also have a much more expensive purchase. Yes, they are a business, but compared to many other brands, their stuff is very good quality out of the box and designed well. We can all complain about how things don’t meet our specific preference but that will be the case with anything anywhere.
    I agree, I have a xl-5 2wd slash I upgraded to the SV4 and a 3800kv motor and run nothing but 3s in it for a long time, it handles it with everything stock, of course I've upgraded things on it now, I had to playing with gearing, but thats expected with anything, I actually enjoy tinkering on my RC's anyway.

My stock VXL Merv handled a 3s pack rather well, a lot better than I thought, I will be playing with gearing on it to drop temps on everything and of course a heat sink and fan later on. I also had an issue out of the box with 3 of my shocks leaking, and 1 of the fronts had nothing in it, Traxxas sent me 4 brand new shocks and oil, and all I wanted was maybe a rebuild kit, wasn't a huge deal, but they took care of the problem rather quickly.

There isn't much out there new at the price bracket that the mini revo is in that can run 3s, let alone actually do it pretty well. Of course no RC is perfect, and will have some weaknesses.

To each their own. I'm quite happy with Traxxas.