RC poster

Ongoing issues with my new X-Maxx...

Hello everyone. Sad I have to start my first post here with a negative one. Iíll try to make a long story short. A little over a month ago now I bought an X-Maxx, and 15 minutes in to driving it, the stock servo stripped out. I didnít really want to deal with it so I bought a 2085X and installed it. It worked for a couple of battery packs and then lost steering. Sent the truck to Traxxas in Texas, they replaced the 2085X and recalibrated the ESC. It ran ok for a couple of battery packs but this time, started to intermittently lose steering creating a dangerous situation where the X-Maxx would not respond to steering input for seconds at a time. Sent the entire truck to Texas again, and again the 2085X was replaced and the ESC recalibrated. This weekend I ran the truck 3-4 times and it was working well and I was happy. It was short lived. This evening, the ESC randomly powered off, confusing me because usually the truck will slow first before voltage cutoff. Powered up the ESC a couple times and each time it shut down. Finally the ESC came back on, but steering is now home yet again. Truck will respond to throttle, but steering is dead. Hopefully someone here has had the same issues and could help. I spent a LOT of money on this vehicle and have barely gotten to enjoy it. Iím going to call Traxxas yet again, but Iím about at the end of my rope with this vehicle. Thanks for reading.

Sorry to say I went through the same, only I refused to send them the whole truck. I went through four servos with them and the 2085's just stripped gears and the 2085X's would quit working without warning, creating as you put it, a dangerous situation.

Even the 2085's would quit working without warning before they stripped the plastic gears.

After Traxxas had sent me every electronic piece that could be the problem, the 2085X servo would just get too hot and trip the fuse in the servo and sometimes overheat my receiver while it was at it.

After realizing that they refused to acknowledge that their servos go into an over-heat protection stage, I just went and installed a ProModeler servo and called it a day.

It is the only way to have steering without worries.

On a side note, Traxxas refuses to acknowledge this because if the servo just quit working and you had a serious crash at speed and the truck was severely damaged and was under the manufacturers warranty period, they would be obligated to replace the whole truck. That would be a no win situation for them.

In other words, if they acknowledged that their 2085's and 2085X's quit working randomly because of a fuse that trips when they overheat, they would open themselves up to a whole plethora of complaints that would be in the realm of my truck was completely destroyed because I lost steering and Traxxas knew it was a problem.

By remaining silent on the issue, Traxxas has avoided replacing entire chassis' and other things that break when you lose control of the X-Maxx because they wouldn't want to entrap themselves into acknowledging it in the first place that the servos are the problem that caused the crash to begin with.

They would so much rather it be that it was user error instead of admitting they have a serious flaw on a $929.99 truck.

Also, I would like to mention that this was a problem on their X-Maxx's for over a year now and it makes me angry that they are still selling the trucks with this serious flaw that could injure someone or damage nearby property because the steering just goes dead without warning and brakes are not enough to avoid tragedy on a truck this size.

This is a thread that describes what I went through:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthread.php?9091750-VXL-8S-ESC-Calibration

It had over eleven thousand views, so I guess it's safe to say a lot of people had the same problem or were extremely bored and just wanted something to read.

By the way, Welcome to the Traxxas forums!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 05-02-2021 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Added Information.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

RC poster
    I had the same problems, stock servo gears stripped within minutes, replaced w/2085x, that only lasted a few minutes and just died. You can actually see my thread I started down just a bit on the forum. I decided I was done with 2085x's and just ordered the promodeler 930 kit with servo horn. I had to wait a bit for the promodeler as the servo horns weren't in and in the mean time decided to try the metal-gears kit for the stock 2085 servo (Traxxas 2087X), costs $30.

I still haven't installed the promodeler 930 as I'm still waiting on a couple of parts to install it the way I want to, direct from Castle BEC, but the original stock 2085 servo, now upgraded to metal gears has actually been just fine. I personally think the current ''batch'' of 2085x servos are straight up defective, but the stock servo with the metal gear upgrade has been fine really.

My suggestion would be to either try the stock servo with metal gears https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-2087X.../dp/B07R6XR3N5 or buy another upgraded servo like the promodeler 930 kit with the traxxas servo adapter for standard servos. https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-7749-...s%2C165&sr=8-1
    Last edited by Nogil; 05-02-2021 at 10:58 PM. Reason: missed an "x"

RC Champion
    I don't know why they still put plastic gears in their servos .. may to make us upgrade I guess?

Anyways part of the servo cut off issue is tsm. Turn tsm off and you shouldn't have a issue. A few times I used tsm I'm would loose steering after a while. Turn off tsm and it seems to work again as it should. This is with a 2085x...

Like flux said go to a promodler servo with their servo horn, trx adapter kit,. If already got a 2085x should already have the metal gear servo saver spring and metal link from horn to servo saver.

Good luck and hope you get it all figured out and get back to having fun soon!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Yes. The stock servo. And the upgraded 2085x is crap too.
    Traxxas needs to deal with this.
    Their servos are awful. And getting worse!

RC poster
    I read the forums here before buying my xmaxx and read of the servo problems. Like you my stock servo lasted for 2 battery packs. Then it went out. I expected it, though not quite so fast. At the time promodeler didn’t have parts available and I thought maybe those who said the 2085x was good enough and bashed it and it went well for them, plus it’s a simple drop in so why not. Well, the 2085x lasted about 20 minutes. Contacted traxxas and sent it in, it was obvious it overheated and locked up, the wires on it were yellowed from heat. They warrantied it, but I am tired of traxxas crap servo’s so I ordered a promodeler 930 and installed that, I’m hoping it lives up to its reputation as I haven’t been able to run it yet after install.

Also, I ordered the promodeler 4 days after sending the 2085x in for warranty, the promodeler is here and installed, the 2085x is still on its way here from traxxas. Assuming it’s any good I’ll use it as a backup for my daughters maxx, or least maybe a temp if her servo goes out while I order a good replacement. I’m already preparing for a max6 or max5 when the esc fries as I have little faith in traxxas electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ucm45 View Post
    Also, I ordered the promodeler 4 days after sending the 2085x in for warranty, the promodeler is here and installed, the 2085x is still on its way here from traxxas. Assuming it’s any good I’ll use it as a backup for my daughters maxx, or least maybe a temp if her servo goes out while I order a good replacement. I’m already preparing for a max6 or max5 when the esc fries as I have little faith in traxxas electronics.

Welcome to the Traxxas forums Ucm45

Thanks for taking the time to share the experience with the Traxxas servos. It speaks volumes when someone uses their first post just to chime in about this ongoing problem.

ProModeler has the fastest shipping of any outfit I have ever witnessed. Just this past Thursday, I put in an order and the servos will be here today:

I often wonder how John at ProModeler can ship on a Thursday at 4 p.m. and have the product at my door on Monday using snail mail when we know darn well that in order to ship something on Thursday, the order has to be placed before 8 a.m.

I still cannot figure out how he does it, because his orders are arriving in three days even with a Sunday in-between the date ordered and the day it arrives!

It is almost as if he owns his own private Post Office!

He is in Florida and I am in Tennessee. That would be a minimal five day shipping period even if using an express option (which I did not) for any other company using snail mail during the regular Monday through Saturday operations of the Post Office.

It is off the rails and borders on precognition that he can ship as fast as he does because it is as if he knows before you do that you are going to order!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 05-03-2021 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Fixed.

RC Qualifier
    I donít have an X-Maxx but I do have the Maxx and itís awful strange that those two trucks use the same steering servo because it almost seems to be just a little bit too small for the Maxx.

I recently had to replace the gears in mine because I let my girlfriends son drive it around one day and he supposedly got it tangled up in a small tree limb and somehow stripped the servo gears but up until that point, my servo has been fine for the 3 months Iíve owned it.

But yeah, the newer Traxxas servos arenít what they were back in the old days. My decade old Revo 3.3 has only had one servo replaced since Iíve had it and it was the one that controls the shifting into reverse. My girlfriendís sonís 1/16th scale revo has gone though three servos in the year heís had it but the metal gear set for the fancier servo in the VXL brushless version of his car so far has ended the stripped servo gear problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies everyone. So with all the X-Maxx’s out there I guess we won the luck of the draw and got defective ones. So I guess either go aftermarket or play the 2085X lottery and see how many it takes to get one that works. I think aftermarket is the way to go. I hate to dump even more money into an already very expensive vehicle. I wouldn’t even mind if it was spending money on breaks or upgrades, but this is spending extra money on making the vehicle even work as advertised. Extremely frustrated with this. I’ve seen people launch their X-Maxx’s 30’ off a skate ramp to break it, and I can’t even drive mine around the yard.

RC poster
    My stock servo went out on my X-Maxx the first day I drove it and the third time the engine burned out. Needless to say I am not impressed when I was only driving on a grass field with no bashing or jumping.

RC poster
    I also have had no luck with the Traxxas servos in my Xmaxx. Striped the first when I did a suspension drop test and it landed funny... not funny tho then I got a Ďfreeí replacement (paid for shipping) this one lasted about 40 minutes. So I looked for a good servo brand, some how found Promodeler (very little advertisement anywhere) and then got his flagship standard servo the DS1155.... which didnít line up!! This was before he updated his sight regarding the misalignment this servo causes. So I decided to make an adapter for this special servo and finally was able to run the truck almost two months after buying it and I do ALL the jumps

If anyone is interested in the DS1155 adapter hereís the link.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderMercator View Post
    I also have had no luck with the Traxxas servos in my Xmaxx. Striped the first when I did a suspension drop test and it landed funny... not funny tho then I got a Ďfreeí replacement (paid for shipping) this one lasted about 40 minutes. So I looked for a good servo brand, some how found Promodeler (very little advertisement anywhere) and then got his flagship standard servo the DS1155.... which didnít line up!! This was before he updated his sight regarding the misalignment this servo causes. So I decided to make an adapter for this special servo and finally was able to run the truck almost two months after buying it and I do ALL the jumps

If anyone is interested in the DS1155 adapter hereís the link.
    That sounds similar to my situation as far as owning the X-Maxx in the beginning. Basically, I had a $929.99 paper weight for two months playing the Traxxas servo turn around game for their replacements only to have all four servos fail within two or less runs.

It wasn't until it dawned on me that the whole freaking truck needs revamped in order to work as advertised. Basically, what I was buying was a roller for $929.99 and could have saved myself a lot of headaches if I had just done that from the beginning; that is buy a roller.

The way everyone was putting the truck on a pedestal talking about the 8S version of the X-Maxx, I thought I would give it a try.

Bought it and quickly realized it underperformed in every category it claimed to excel in. An extra thousand dollars or more later, I finally had an X-Maxx that was drivable. Let's look closely at what I typed there: "I finally had an X-Maxx that was drivable".

Now to go further and bulletproof it, that would be another $500~$600 excursion just to get it to perform as seen in the Traxxas videos where they claim everything is stock when they are beating the heck out of the truck and nothing breaks.

There have been videos where the X-Maxx ever so gently rolls over going about 8mph and the shock caps bust at the screw joint. Now how is it that Traxxas can have videos out there of this truck flying at full speed and tumbling end over end for fifteen feet and not have anything broken?

I would love for Traxxas to make a video uncut where there is no editing and they take the body off so I can see they were actually running the truck all stock and claim nothing broke in the process. It is never going to happen because sales would go down if people realized that the $929.99 price is just the beginning price just to get the chassis to build up the truck.

Plus, when Traxxas has videos of the X-Maxx doing super jumps, it is always landing on a down slope in order to lessen the impact forces of a landing.

Hey Traxxas, show me a real world crash of an all stock X-Maxx and take the body off to prove that an all stock X-Maxx is as tough as you claim it to be.

I would have typed none of this unless I had put my money where my mouth is first before calling a bluff.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 05-10-2021 at 09:15 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I mean different people have different experiences. For me, I have done nothing but drive my X-maxx hard from day one. Sending it sky high over and over again, ramping it off of just about anything I can find, flipping, high speed crashes, etc. Through all of this my stock servo never failed me (albeit the performance wasn't where I wanted it - hence I changed it out recently to the PM930). In fact I only have broken three things in all of my bad landings and crashes, 1) Shock cap, 2) Bent front cv axel, and 3) broke teeth off my spur gear. I bought my x-maxx last December.

I'd say that with only those things breaking after the punishment I've given this thing (and the enormous amount of joy it has brought me), that it is a beast. Everyone's experience is different, and you have to also keep in mind that the majority of people that come to a forum are looking for help - which means something usually went wrong - but the thousands of people that don't come to the forum could also be having a similar experience as myself.

RC Qualifier
    I'd have to agree. My driving is terrible and launch the X-Maxx constantly. How it isn't smashed into a million pieces is a just mystery.
    My mods consist of the uprated servo, brute body, rpm rear carriers, so hardly 1000s of extra cash.
    I've recently killed a tire foam, but that is down to me spinning the wheels off load too much.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca 3 View Post
    I'd have to agree. My driving is terrible and launch the X-Maxx constantly. How it isn't smashed into a million pieces is a just mystery.
    My mods consist of the uprated servo, brute body, rpm rear carriers, so hardly 1000s of extra cash.
    I've recently killed a tire foam, but that is down to me spinning the wheels off load too much.
    Thats about what I’ve done as well. Very rough start but since getting the Promodeler servo the truck has been great! Except for the steering servo, RPM hubs, top of body skid and shoe gluing the body, It’s still stock and very fun. I haven’t tried to hit the claimed speed as it’s more about the off road for me, so I kept stock slow speed gears in. I have been very impressed with the beating it takes. In all I’m probably $300-400 over stock. The Promodeler servo was 210 on its own (when overboard and got his flagship)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubin View Post
    Yes. The stock servo. And the upgraded 2085x is crap too.
    Traxxas needs to deal with this.
    Their servos are awful. And getting worse!
    Agree with this, it's better to go for an aftermarket servo, for example PROMODELER.