RC poster

Castle 1406 Slate 3800kv

Hey Guys, for my main ride, I went with the Leopard LBP2845 4110kv, which is a blast!
    For the second, I went with the brushed motor mount and brushed motor I had laying around. Now I really want to put the Castle 1406 Slate 3800kv into it. Really just for slow driving, would not call it crawling, but also for bit of bashing. I am planing to run mainly 2S on the rig.

Can you recommend the Slate?

Thanks for your input

Last edited by CrashFX; 05-04-2021 at 04:52 AM.

RC Racer
    Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada-The Wet Coast!
    People seem to like the Castle Slate in this. The only problem that I can see is, the 3800kv only comes with the Mamba X ESC, and I don't see how that could fit in a MERV without having to cut a huge hole in the side of the body.
    Slash 2WD Vision Edition
    200+ posts, here I come!

The 2850kv is compatible with the Micro X, and Castle just came out with the Copperhead System:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...66-08/p1308926
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster

Castle 1406 Slate 3800kv

I "think" I'd rather go for the 3800kv since I will mostly run 2S. Would you agree that this is better than the 2850kv?
    Good point about the size of Mamba X, I will probably use a summit type body. That should fit the large ESC.
    Regarding the Copperhead: I am in germany and that system is not yet available here. Do not feel like ordering from the US.

My main question would be, is the 3800kv too powerful? Plus, is the Micro X too week for this application?
    Last edited by CrashFX; 05-04-2021 at 12:04 PM.

I don't have the Slate 3800kv, but I have the green can 1410 3800kv. It's more than enough power for my Slash 2wd, and has just enough torque on my Slash 4x4 (heats up a bit even on 2s, but does not lack torque), so I think it's definitely going to have some serious power. You can always get the SW4 with the green can 3800kv (sensorless, but excellent low-speed control as well; definitely not as good as sensored, but is a lot better than most sensorless systems out there).

As for the 2850kv Slate and the Micro X, this is what is listed under the specifications:

Max. Recommended Vehicle Weight: 8lbs when used for low speed/moderate driving style like rock crawling and trail running; 4lbs for more racing and aggressive driving styles.

The MERV is a little over 5lbs, but as long as you don't drive overly aggressively and have a fairly conservative gearing, I think you should be fine.

RC poster
    Hey. Thanks for the input. I wonder what driving are you doing that your 3800kv gets hot? I plan on more or less slow driving with some bashing and I have a range of pinions. I should be good, right?

Oliver

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CrashFX View Post
    Hey. Thanks for the input. I wonder what driving are you doing that your 3800kv gets hot? I plan on more or less slow driving with some bashing and I have a range of pinions. I should be good, right?

Oliver

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    On the 2wd, it stays nice and cool (16/90 gearing). It only starts getting a bit warm on the 4x4 (no fans), and even then, it's manageable (12/54 gearing; VXL diff ratio). The 4x4 also does not have a body atm, so running in direct sunlight contributes to the increase in heat as well.

Here's a video of the Slash 4x4 with the 3800kv that I made recently (ambient temps are roughly 75F-80F):

RC poster
    Okay. I get it. Nice video, Man. Thanks for your replies.
    I will start to order the set that has been on my mind for quite some time.

Will update once purchased and installed.

Oliver